Just got a Weber Rotisserie. How long will a chicken take?

Mark Orth

TVWBB Member
Hi guys. I'm sure there are other threads on this but I'm in a bit of a rush. Can you give me a ballpark of how long it will take to cook a chicken on the rotisserie? Thanks!

Depends on how hot you are running. Maybe 90 minutes to 2 hrs. Haven't used mine in a long time

update: looked at some old notes, that was in 325ish range.

Last edited:
I use mine quite a bit, at 375-400 it would take 60 to 90 minutes. You're going to love that ring, pretty much everything we cook with the rotisserie comes out moist and tender.

The size of the chicken is also a factor. A small one might only take an hour to one hour and 15 minutes while a larger chicken might take as long as two hours.

Mark, this is how I did two with just one set of meat holders. Put them neck to neck and pushed them together real tight, then trussed them up with some butchers twine. Worked well for me.

008-5.jpg

I normally do two chickens at one time. It takes almost the same amount of effort and charcoal to do one as it takes to do two so you might as well do two. Will normally debone what is left and use it for other things. I replaced the Weber forks with four prong forks like the ones in this link. They work OK, but the little thumb screw partially stripped out on one of them.

Here is the drill I have done for years because it has provided very consistent results. I always try to buy two chickens that are as close to 4 lbs. each as possible. I truss the two birds and place them on the shaft with breasts toward the middle and orient them in opposite directions to help with balance. I use all four of the forks. I use my Weber charcoal baskets with one on each side and put a couple of small chunks of smoke wood in the bottom of each basket. I light an entire chimney of new KBB. I normally use lump for most other grilling tasks, but always use KBB for this for consistency reasons. When it ashes over, I split it between the two baskets evenly. I then put the shaft with chickens on the rotisserie with a drip pan underneath and close the lid. I let it run with the lid closed for 1 hour and 20 minutes and then check the temps in the thighs with the Thermopen. It is almost always done at that point. Every now and then, I may let it go 10 additional minutes but that is by exception.

Last edited:
I second doing to at once. We wouldnormally use the second to make chicken salad for lunch during the week. Need to use the rotisserie more...

Don, good tip on orienting them in different directions to help with balance. I should have thought of that. Will definitely do that next time.

Thanks for the inspiration! I am pulling out the rotisserie and doing two chickens today, I usually only do one. Wahoo!

Laura

Mark, this is how I did two with just one set of meat holders. Put them neck to neck and pushed them together real tight, then trussed them up with some butchers twine. Worked well for me.

008-5.jpg

I found that by doing this and using the original rotisserie prongs that came with it worked just fine. I did a test spin to make sure it was balanced, didn't need any other forky prongs. So you can get them if you want, but I didn't find them necessary.

Delicious chicken - thanks for the inspiration!

Laura

Back