Just did a 14hr pork butt on a silver 22-1/2

David-B

TVWBB Super Fan
went to a friends house for the weekend and we all were craving Q , just so happens they have a weber silver but no smoker....sooo Ive done ribs and chicken-turkey MANY times on my performer at home so I thought what the heck we don't have much to lose trying a mega cook on the grill...basically loaded 12lbs of charcoal banked the best we could to one side, some of it did end up in the center of the charcoal grate so we lit the charcoal closest to the roast first. Closed the top vent 60% and the bottom vent maybe less than 1/8" of an opening...I figured the grill would hum along probably at 325 with little problem for 8 hrs or so, however stubborn roast locked in at 170 internal for a while ( roast was 13-14 lbs I believe) grill temp fluctuated from lowest 250 to highest 335 but overall temp was steady ( no water used)....started this project at 6 pm and FINALLY finished at 8 am the next morning at 192 internal...roast absolutely fell apart wonderfully, good bark so we chopped it up for lunch...amazed how long the grill lasted with a few bricks to spare even :)

Very nice. I am able to get very long burns out of my weber platnium and just did a butt last weekend. Makes me wonder why i need the wsm. I donthink the wsm can run w less oversight than the kettle but the kettle does extremely well. Did u stay up all night watching it? Not sure i would have enough confidence to let it run wo watching it pretty closely

Very nice. I am able to get very long burns out of my weber platnium and just did a butt last weekend. Makes me wonder why i need the wsm. I donthink the wsm can run w less oversight than the kettle but the kettle does extremely well. Did u stay up all night watching it? Not sure i would have enough confidence to let it run wo watching it pretty closely

I checked on the smoke probably every few hours or so but at one point let the smoke go at will early in the am. I had a maverick remote therm to keep track of grill temp to make sure it didn't get out of control... This method does require more attention than the wsm but with practice smoking on a 22-1/2 can be less of a hassle...I find I always have to adjust the top vent down 50% whereas I leave the top vent on a wsm wide open every cook and only adjust the bottom 3 vents

Great. I did one a little over 9lb not long ago on my OTS. I was rolling it really low, at 200-230 so it went over 12 hrs. But it came out nice like yours. The kettle is the only reason I haven't move to the WSM since I can get awesome q from it. There was a sale on ebay this weekend, brand new WSM 18.5 @ 229.00 and I was tempted, but let it go. I did use a snake, then I had to fill again once, but like you I was left with some charcoal to reuse. The kettle is getting to the almighty status!!

Back