Just butt lucky?

paul js

Did an overnight pork shoulder this weekend, about 5.5 lbs. Put it on about 8:30PM, about 2:30AM noticed the temp down to 190, slightly adjusted one of the vents open. About an hour later noticed temp up to 330. Closed all vents but temp never got below 300. Just went ahead and let go till 192, about 11 hours total. As always have cooked in the 240 range I expected this high temp cook to have disappointing results- contrar- it was execellent, not overcooked, not dried. Is pork that forgiving, did I get luckky? (By the way,Saturday night was VERY windy)

Hey paul have you checked the accuracy of your thermometer?

I ask because I have a hard time getting my wsm to 300 even when I am trying to get it that hot.

Low and slow is not sacred. A whole LOT of pork (and beef too) has been cooked at 300 and up and come out just fine, thank you, just quicker.

TB

Low and slow is the goal, but I just had 16 lbs of pork shoulder that chewed up a ton of fuel because it was blowin' 15 - 30 mph and I have no shield (my next mechanical endeavor). So, I had to pull way short of the 1.5 - 2 hrs per pound. It was good but not the same texture of the pork that I have from previous smokes. So, the meat and the smoke on it will be good, but it won't be quite the Q in texture.

Who knew it would blow this much in the desert? Or is it dessert?

I made my first butt of the season last weekend. Came out perfect, now the freezer is stocked up again
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Paul,

Pork butts are very forgiving, guess that's why they are so fun to cook.

Did you check your water pan? It may have been dried up or nearly there.

Joey Mac

It was dry but I thought all vents completely closed would compensate for that. Might try sand for next overnight cook.

Back