Just another tri tip

DanHoo

TVWBB Olympian
Spring Break has been low key, but the kids are eating everything in sight. When I asked what do you want for dinner, my Youngest suggested Tri Tip or steak. I don't have any steaks in the freezer so I pulled out a costco choice.

The Vac sealed bag worked great to thaw it quick in a pot of warm water. Onto the grill, did about 250F dome temp with a handful of pecan chips on the coals.

tossed some more chips on after about 45 mins. then pulled it and wrapped it in foil when it reached 123 F internal.

I realized in a prior cook that if I leave the TT wrapped too long it will cool off and getting it to med rare will take a bit more sear, so I got the coals really hot and seared it a bit more this time.

20220413_183433.jpg

I was given a bellows as a gift years ago when I had a wood burning stove / fireplace. It works well to stoke the coals.

20220413_183829.jpg

Grate is 5/16 inch SS and the drop ring gets the grate right on the coals.

20220413_185011.jpg

I guess this is medium rare. I didn't temp check it after the hard sear.

20220413_191027.jpg

I like a good zin with steak...

20220413_190321.jpg

This was a very nice one indeed.

20220413_184430.jpg

Last edited:
Dan,
That cut shoot is perfect, pink end to end! All this talk about Tri Tips, I really think I am going to have to order one from Wild Fork today.

A nice baguette and some fixings and that’d make a great sandwich. Just need some warmer weather to eat that on the patio. Mmmm

Great job on the tri tip Dan.
What did you side it with on the plate?

The 2015 Nevada County zin was my side :)

I had an appetizer of sliced cucumbers in simple vinaigrette. Red wine vinegar, evoo, salt and pepper.

and a salad, of thin sliced cabbage, the left over vinaigrette and a little marie's cole slaw dressing.

Kids had penne pasta, raw carrots and sliced cucumber.

I prefer to get my carbs in liquid form.

A nice baguette and some fixings and that’d make a great sandwich. Just need some warmer weather to eat that on the patio. Mmmm

That sounds tasty.

baguette, muenster or blue cheese, some grilled onion...

I need to hide the leftovers or I won't get any for lunch.

Back