Just an Observation

Rich Dahl

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I don’t have a Weber pellet grill but I do have a new Camp Chef pellet grill.
I’ve used it about 15 times or so and used all kinds of various pellet brands.
A little while ago Tru Value had Weber pellets at less than half price so I got the last bag they had which was apple.
So yesterday I decided to try them out on a ham I had in the freezer for quite a while.
Now the CC isn’t a picky eater and will use any pellets that it’s given which was the case with the Weber pellets. It maintained temperatures very well. It also had a pleasant aroma.
The issue was this morning when I went to clean it there was a lot of white ash on the grates and deflector tray under those. I have never experience this with the other brands I’ve used, also the ash cup was almost full which I always empty the next morning and verify it’s empty before the next cook. I’ve never seen that much ash and this was only a little over two hour cook.
I seem to remember some folks experiencing this same white ash problem during the saga of the SmokeFire.
So for what it’s worth I thought I would bring up my observations

Now that's interesting. Like you, I never see ash on the Camp Chef grates. I have seen it on the SmokeFire grates and I just thought it was the lack of a drip pan. I have been using Pit Boss but just put a bag of Weber on the hopper. Now I'll pay more attention to ash production, Thanks Rich.

Now that's interesting. Like you, I never see ash on the Camp Chef grates. I have seen it on the SmokeFire grates and I just thought it was the lack of a drip pan. I have been using Pit Boss but just put a bag of Weber on the hopper. Now I'll pay more attention to ash production, Thanks Rich.
Pit Boss competition blead is my standard mix I use for most of my cooks. I've also used Cooks, Lumberjack, Traeger, Kingsford and haven't had any ash buildup at all with any of those.

Hmm, I feel like there’s about an equal amount of ash between pit boss and Weber. I barely notice it on the outside of the grill and on the grates. Almost like tiny glitter in the light. I never notice it on the food, but I’m sure that’s because the moisture in the food absorbs and disguises it 😜 after about 20 pounds of each, there’s still barely nothing in the ash pan.

Back