Just a Quick Set of Tuna Rellenos

RichPB (richlife)

TVWBB Wizard
A few days ago for lunch i got out a large can of tuna, some mayo and sour cream, added a small diced Kosher pickle and some 1/4 inch chopped tobasco chilis, salt, fresh ground black pepper, garlic powder and dried chopped onion and mixed it all together for some nice tuna salad on bolillo. Made a couple of nice lunches but that left just a 1/3 cup or so left over. I had these nice looking jalapenos I wanted to stuff and grill, so decided this was the time.

Starting with jalapeno halves, i laid in about an 1/8" layer of cream cheese, a small layer of the tuna salad, a good sprinkle of jalapeno powder (jalapenos today are too mild, you know) and then a layer of shredded cheddar. Grilled indirect for 20 minutes or and had some nice chili rellenos as appetizer.

The pic shows a messy cutting board just before finishing the prep. A few chilis are still waiting for the cheddar to be added. The green cast is from jalapeno powder -- its not from bad tuna. Stashed some of those chilis away in the fridge ready for a couple more cooks.20230806_175817.jpg

I think tuna and jalapenos has many possibilities to be explored. I started years back with pickled jalapeno slices on my tuna salad sandwiches. @Andy Kaminski I think the tuna steak thought is fantastic. Tuna tacos...

They were really good, Tim. I made similar (without the lowest layer of cream cheese) some months back. Either is good enough to warrent more experimentation. This batch particularly were a little weaker in tuna flavor. I'll try some with less diluting filler (mayo/sour cream) -- these were for the tuna salad first off. Also, i think adding some Franks, etc. would be a great option.
Editted about filler being sour cream, not cream cheese.

Last edited:

Back