juniper berries

Dan H.

TVWBB Pro
im going to assume that my local junipers aren't producing the same edible berries as what you would buy...? or maybe they are? this may be impossible but is it possible to describe the flavor?

It is quite likely that they are the same or similar. The berries are so much edible, per se, as they are useful for flavoring. They are usually lightly crushed then used to flavor brines, braising liquids and the like. Gin is flavored with juniper so it is that essence you're looking for.

was reading online last night about them, i should have been more specific, but ya I had concluded there were more for flavoring with the use of liquids and stuff. i was kind of questioning the "health concerns" but appearantly pregnant women should stay away from them and something else i forgot... its active ingredient (forgot that too) is hard on liver? ...anyway I kind of had my eyes open for them, and dawned on me maybe i'de be lucky enough to just pick em' but appearantly like 1 berry out of bazillion make it to the state of ripe or something.. I seen shiny berries in pictures and all i have around here is dull blue berries unless i spit on em and polish them..

Back