Junior frame paint restore

Paul Warner

TVWBB Super Fan
The recently obtained redhead junior has been stripped and ready for cleaning.

One thing that stood out was the near new condition of the black frame. Normally i would respray with rattle can paint but looking to revive the existing paint.

Can anyone advise what lotions, potions and process is best to restore to new…ish? Is there something thats used on cars that may work? Thanks

IMG_0982.jpeg

The recently obtained redhead junior has been stripped and ready for cleaning.

One thing that stood out was the near new condition of the black frame. Normally i would respray with rattle can paint but looking to revive the existing paint.

Can anyone advise what lotions, potions and process is best to restore to new…ish? Is there something thats used on cars that may work? Thanks

View attachment 93719
I just did the same thing yesterday on my Genesis 2000. I'm going to respray the outside of the cook box and the outside of the lid sides but the frame was in excellent condition. I used McGuire's rubbing compound on it first and then put a couple coats of Maguire's car wax on the frame and any parts that don't need repaint. I disassembled the entire frame so that I could get everything really good where the pieces connect and lock into each other.20240619_062328~2.jpg
This is where I'm at now with putting it back together.
20240618_185539~2.jpg
Any car wax will work.
You could also do a light sanding/scuf and then spray with clear coat.

I just did the same thing yesterday on my Genesis 2000. I'm going to respray the outside of the cook box and the outside of the lid sides but the frame was in excellent condition. I used McGuire's rubbing compound on it first and then put a couple coats of Maguire's car wax on the frame and any parts that don't need repaint. I disassembled the entire frame so that I could get everything really good where the pieces connect and lock into each other.View attachment 93720
This is where I'm at now with putting it back together.
View attachment 93721
Any car wax will work.
You could also do a light sanding/scuf and then spray with clear coat.
Thanks Josh, much appreciated. I will give that a go!

I've used Mequiar's Scratch X (oddly enough, it used to be called Scratch X 2.0) when cleaning up bicycle frames for resale. It removes a lot of smudges and minor scratches, and makes the paint "pop". It also has some type of wax built in.
scratch.JPG

I think it might fill in some hairline scratches but the dreaded “Weber fade” doesn’t respond to any wax, compounding or the like. You can temporarily mask it with Pam (I am experimenting with some plastic restorer chemicals that seem to also have the same effect). It can look better for a while, but underneath it hasn’t changed.🙁

Here the bottom piece has been treated with Pam. These “Flat top” sliding shelves were really faded. I wish re-porcelaining them was in the budget, but at least Pam (and maybe plastic restorer) made them tolerable enough for my personal use.

IMG_4470.jpeg

Back