July 4th Report...How did your Q do?

Scott H.

TVWBB Member
There must be a record number of charcoal briquettes per acre being burned today, as I could see smoke rising from 6 back yards not counting my own. How did you do with your cook today?

Here's my report: I did a 13lb brisket, started it at 9:30 last night. Homemade rub, Brinkmann charcoal pan full of water, temps stabilized to 225, went to bed. Checked on it this morning around 9:00 (no foil used this time), the bark looked awesome, so I got My Polder therm out to check internal temp. Stuck the probe in and immediately decided it was done, there was absolutely no resistance to the probe at all. It was the best brisket I've ever cooked, and as I type this there are NO leftovers. A true testament to the success of this cook. I also did some locally made sausage links, they were great also.
I have realized that as difficult as it is to do, especially after almost 20 years of using a big side firebox pit and constantly having to babysit it, that with the WSM the best avenue for great results is to get it going and leave it alone.
Thanks for reading my story, now tell us how your Independence Day cook turned out!

I'm doing my Q tomorrow for the UFC fight, Spares and a brisket on around 7:00 a.m.!

Cooked 24 chicken halfs, 2 packages of sasuage,3 packs of boudin and hot dogs. Had a large time at my house. It was also my mother in laws birthday and we had food galore. Baked beans, potatoe salad, 2 cakes and homemade ice cream.

I just took my 2 butts off. I could not get the temp to drop below 300. I check the temp and they were both 210 degrees at 2AM so I pulled them So much for my over night cook!

I made the best BBQ of my life yesterday. I roasted 1/2 pig on the gasser, and smoked 1 butt (15 hours) and 1 rack of ribs (6 hours) and 48 ABT's (2 hours) on the WSM.

I had about 15 or so people and everyone absolutely loved the 'cue. When I pulled the butt it fell apart, the pig was wonderful (1st time for pig), and the ribs were delicious.

I had banana homemade ice cream, and a variety of sauces for the meat. What a night of wonderful 'cue!

Visiting some family in NJ for the holiday. I chose to introduce this group to tri-tips. 6 nice roasts, all cooked wonderfully. What a wonderful time - tri-tips, grilled onions, and white BBQ sauce covered chicken.

Rick

PICTURES

Just added my ribs under my brisket, everything looks great so far, I'll keep the pictures updated.

EDIT: Hmmmm . . . just found out guests canceled, thank god for my Foodsaver.

EDIT 2: OK, time to slow down the drinking, I was watching the graph of my cook and saw the temp drop down to 218 (had Stoker set at 235) so I'm thinking there's no way I could be out of fuel so I opened her up, stupid me laid my temp probe on the brisket . . . when I adjusted my probe properly she read 296, LOL, kids do not drink and smoke!

I had all three Webers going yesterday. Had the fam and a bunch of friends. On the WSM, 5 baby backs. only had enough TexasBBQrub for two racks, so I hand made the rest adapted from Alton Brown's (8:3:1:1, 8 brown sugar, 3 salt, 1 chili power, 1 anything I want. I'ma cut down on the chili powder, and the rest was what I had on hand, garlic, thyme cayenne, onion). Came out quite nice. There was a taste difference for me, and some noticed, but both were good. Smoked for four hours at 225, foiled for one hour at the 2 hr mark.

On the kettle, I had three spatchcocked chickens. Marinated in a vietnamese ga nuong (grilled chicken) which was fish sauce, lime juice, oil, sugar, salt black pepper. Direct until I got a good color on both sides, then off to indirect. Everyone still wondering how I cook my chickens and they're never dry. even after they see my therm probe
icon_biggrin.gif

On the Genesis EP-320, had three chicken on the E-Z Que. These were done in another vietnamese recipe, ga ro-ti, which means roasted chicken. Also garlicky chicken. Lotsa garlic, some maggi seasoning (which is similar to soy sauce), sugar salt and bp, oil.

Overall a resounding success, and a very long process. Started everything at 9 am and continued until like 7 pm. Prep work, shopping, driving etc. Well worth it in the end for good times,good que, and good food.

Smoked some pulled pork which came out incredible. My mom shredded the prok, my wife made the sauce and my sister made some cornbread to go along with it. My brother smoked some ribs for the first time and I also had the 22 1/2 SOT going with some marinated chicken thighs. Its also my dads b`day so its always a good day.

I posted a log of my cook here. My pulled pork came out good even though I didn't like the looks of the Boston Butts. I made the mistake of asking my Mom to go buy them down where she lives instead of bringing them with me. I was worried if I waited to buy them until I got down there they would be hard to find since everyone would be BBQing this weekend.

I'm still struggling with ribs. This is only the second time I've cooked them. The first time they were good but didn't fall off the bone like I want. If you have ever had ribs at Fat Matt's Rib Shack in Atlanta, that's my standard. I love their ribs. I want to be able to cook ribs like those.

Any rib cooking hints will be appreciated.

I made three Sauces, Ladybird Johnson's BBQ Sauce, Modified No. 5 and my own Carolina mix. The No. 5 was a big hit. I only added a little red wine and a Tbls of ground black pepper. It was my first time making it but, not my last! The LBJ BBQ Sauce was good but I won't make it on a regular basis. My sauce was a hit!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm still struggling with ribs. This is only the second time I've cooked them. The first time they were good but didn't fall off the bone like I want. If you have ever had ribs at Fat Matt's Rib Shack in Atlanta, that's my standard. I love their ribs. I want to be able to cook ribs like those. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you using a thermometer? My ribs went to the next level once I knew the temp. in the WSM.

I did a small brisket flat (4-5 pounds) and a corned beef point that I picked up on sale in march and kept in the freezer.

the brisket had a simple rub, smoked it with apple, hickory and oak for 4 hours, and foiled it for three. I pulled it off and checked the temp (205), the meat was like butter. I tossed in the cooler since it was done way before I thought it would be. There wasnt much of a bark since it spent so much time in foil, but I didnt have much of an option with my wsm running over 250.

I read about soaking corned beef in water before smoking to leach out some of the salt. I thought it made a ton of sense since they are usually boiled. I like to bake them and they do end up salty. So I gave it a soak for 8 hours on thursday, rubbed it with a pastrami rub and put it on with the brisket flat. It was easily the best corned beef I've made. I wouldn't call it pastrami because it didn't pick up much smoke flavor, but the rub was super flavorful and the meat wasn't too salty and melted in your mouth.

pics and more info are here:

http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1780069052/m/6030090165

I put 2 pork butts on the WSM at 10:15, then 2 racks of spares on at 12:30 and then pulled off the spares around 5 pm. Then I put on 16 hot dogs and some corn on the cob for an hour each. Finally, pulled off the pork butts at 9 pm.

Everything turned out well and probably would have cooked the butts faster, but for all the opening and shutting of the lid.

Took a lot of pictures, but have to figure out photobucket. Here is a link to a slideshow, but somehow the pics of the spares didn't make it on there.

http://s57.photobucket.com/albums/g232/ncbeachboy/?acti...current=a7ce4ff5.pbw

Seasoned two butts at midnight, hit the smoker at 7:00 am. Three racks of baby backs at noon, foiled the butts at 3:00. My polder decided three years is enough, and died on me. Used one I found in the kitchen drawer, read 180 as I foiled them. Started a root beer can chicken at 3:45 on the gasser and foiled the ribs at 4:00. Pulled the butts off at 4:30, wrapped in a blanket and put in the Coleman. Pulled the chicken off at 5:00, placed the ribs on the gasser to tighten back up, and slathered Sweet Baby Rays on them. Pulled the butts at 5:30, dinner was served at 6:15. Neighbors really enjoyed everything, and the weather has been perfect all weekend.

Cooked 3 bone-in ribeyes on OTG. Started with about 2/3 chimney lit briquets, set up for direct/indirect cook. Seared each one, they were about 1" thick. moved to indirect. Checked internal temp with thermapen. pulled them off at 145, came out too rare for me and wife. Used S&P on two and 'yum yum rub on another. Was not impressed with the "yum yum". USed the temp gauge template Kevin K suggested. At what temp is "pink" instead of red inside, which i had with 145? Needed a little more cooking for our liking. Was planning a large family gathering cooking butts, ribs and chicken, but my back is "out of commission" and barely got through this cook. Had to put off this event.

Ooo. Bummer about the back. I know the feeling well.

Though doneness nomenclature (rare, med-rare, med, etc.) refers to appearance and not internal temp, 145 should correlate with what you were looking for, especially if you rested the steaks 5 min after cooking. Were the steaks cold going into the grill or room temp?

Back