2 cups soy protein concentrate
1 TBSP. ground white pepper
1 TBSP. mace
1 TBSP. nutmeg
1 tsp ginger
5 TBSP Kosher salt
2 lbs. boneless veal
8 lbs. fresh pork shoulders
Grind all the meat through a 3/8" grinder plate. Mix all ingredients well and stuff into 32 - 35mm hog casing. This is from Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing by Rytek Kutas.

Bryan - Thanks for the recipe. I've never used the soy protein concentrate in the few sausages I've made. What exactly is it?

Have you made this particular recipe?

It's been quite a while since I was into sausage making. I recall a company that specialized in sausage-making products in Buffalo, NY or somewhere in that area but can't remember the name....The Sausage Maker?

Rita

Originally posted by Rita Y:
Bryan - Thanks for the recipe. I've never used the soy protein concentrate in the few sausages I've made. What exactly is it?

Have you made this particular recipe?

It's been quite a while since I was into sausage making. I recall a company that specialized in sausage-making products in Buffalo, NY or somewhere in that area but can't remember the name....The Sausage Maker?

Rita
I have not made this recipe but i have made the Breakfast Sausage recipe from the book and it was fantastic. I just used the soy protein concetrate in burgers the other day and the family said they were the best burgers. The soy protein concentrate holds in the moisture so you don't have dry meat. It's used by most resturants to give you a nice juicy burger. I bought mine at americanspice.com Yes the sausage maker is the Co that Rytek started God rest his soul. HTH Bryan
Cick me
Soy Protein Concentrate

Wow! Sometimes I impress even myself! It must be 20 years since I thought of that company. Just don't ask me about anything from yesterday. I'm practicing senility too.

Thanks for the information. I'm itching to begin on that sausage tomorrow but I'll have to wait about 3 or 4 weeks. I'm going into a time crunch again.

I've read elsewhere on TVWB that Rytek's is a very good book. Guess I'll have to add it to my collection. I'll be darned! I just found it on my bookshelf - it's a spiral-bound book (c) 1976, self-published by Richard S. Kutas Co. It must be a first edition. I see on their website that they are now on a third edition. I may have to upgrade.

Thanks again, Bryan!
Rita

Wow! Sometimes I impress even myself! It must be 20 years since I thought of that company. Just don't ask me about anything from yesterday. I'm practicing senility too.

Thanks for the information. I'm itching to begin on that sausage tomorrow but I'll have to wait about 3 or 4 weeks. I'm going into a time crunch again.

I've read elsewhere on TVWB that Rytek's is a very good book. Guess I'll have to add it to my collection. I'll be darned! I just found it on my bookshelf - it's a spiral-bound book (c) 1976, self-published by Richard S. Kutas Co. It must be a first edition. I see on their website that they are now on a third edition. I may have to upgrade.

Thanks again, Bryan!
Rita
It's a great book. I have the second edition. I have read it front to back many, many times. Anybody wanting to know and learn about sausage making it's a must read.
icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by Susan Z:
Ouch! Can't say I blame you. No Wegman's by you? They've just expanded into Northern VA recently.
Turns out a guy i work with lives in Downingtown where the Wegman's is and he's going to check the store tonight if they carry them. He used to work at that Wegman's. Small world it is. Wish me luck.
icon_biggrin.gif

This thread is to funny........ Cause I live in Se Wi, and all these plants are a hour away or less there has to be 5-6 for sure.Whe even have commercials on how cook a brat. lol The commercial states never poke a brat...Tony Weiss Knows what I'm talking about I'm sure.

Originally posted by CHAD P:
This thread is to funny........ Cause I live in Se Wi, and all these plants are a hour away or less there has to be 5-6 for sure.Whe even have commercials on how cook a brat. lol The commercial states never poke a brat...Tony Weiss Knows what I'm talking about I'm sure.
LOL! ............. Any recipe that starts out open 3 cans of Beer........... Adjust recipe to 4 beers..............
icon_smile.gif
Yeah all over the TV here too. Funny stuff.
icon_biggrin.gif

Never gristly. These were way fattier than those I grew up with from German butchers.

I found mine at Costco. I'm going to give them one more opportunity to charm me, but I'm not sure it'll work.

I'm looking for a homemade recipe...anyone willing to share?

Rita
thanks Rita, I will try brats again then ... just not Johnsonville brand.

Originally posted by CHAD P:

You got that right, Chad!

I was raised in Sheboygan Falls (pop. 1281 at the time). We had 2 butcher shops and 2 grocery stores with meat departments and they all made their own brats. A 20 minute drive to get you to at least eight other brat sources (not counting Johnsonville), and probably more that I didn't even know about. Plus some of the best hard rolls that you could imagine . . .

I just sprinkle them with rub and smoke them until done. I think 30-45 minutes is about right. An hour is too long, usually, they end up wrinkling and shrivelling by then. I do NOT pierce them and can't for the life of me understand why anyone would want to.

Originally posted by Bryan S:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Susan Z:
Ouch! Can't say I blame you. No Wegman's by you? They've just expanded into Northern VA recently.
Turns out a guy i work with lives in Downingtown where the Wegman's is and he's going to check the store tonight if they carry them. He used to work at that Wegman's. Small world it is. Wish me luck.
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well i'm happy to report that they have them at the Downingtown Wegman's.
icon_cool.gif

My parents turned me on to a guy who makes his own sausage. They have been buying them for years. I don't eat much sausage. Store bought seemed to be too gristley for me and so I avoided it.

After trying one of the sausages wow. The breakfast style that my parents buy were great. I went to buy some of my own and found out he has Italian and Polish. The polish was spicy and the italian was excellent tasted like a peperoni.

I had been meaning to throw a couple on the wsm during a cook for a snack but kept forgetting about it. I poped a couple of polish on the wsm a few weeks ago during a butt burn. Man I didn't think those sausages could get any better. I was wrong. The smoke ring was excellent.
icon_biggrin.gif
I am going to have to check out the beer boat recipe though.

I do J-ville brats all the time and love 'em. Never bit into any grissle/bone yet. I have put small slits in them, simmer in beer with whatever you want to add flavor for around 10 -15 minutes, and toss on the smoker. Sometimes I just toss them on out of the pack. If you simmer them, it makes the case a little easier to bite through.
I will say, I have found nothing that compares top the Brats I had when I was in Germany, and that is a shame!

We buy Schaller & Weber all the time (we can get them from the S&W shop on the Upper East Side). They're awfully good. I actually prefer the bauernwurst to the brats.

That said, it's a lot easier to get fresh Italian sausages here than it is to get German ones (or any other kind -- I have to run out to Queens for the good Irish sausages and bacon).

Rita, I've been to Patak a few times..it is AWESOME! You need to make the trip up there, it is a fair ways from me, so i usually have a lady at work pick stuff up for me. Their spicy italian sausage is really good!

jason

Well, Jason, that does it! I'll just have to make the trek out to Austell to visit Patak's plant/store. We're not far from I-285 & Roswell Road, so it shouldn't be all that bad a trip. I rarely get over in that direction.

DeKalb Farmer's Market used to carry Patak's fresh bratwurst but lately all I've seen out there are the cooked ones which I've never tried, but should have.

Thanks for spurring me on!
Rita

Back