Jerky Shelf Life?

Don Irish

TVWBB Pro
Made some jerky earlier in the week. There was TQ in the marinade (one of Stogie's recipes). I have it in a zip lock in the fridge. How long is it good? I was thinking about vacusealing into batches...sound right or is this over kill? Freeze?

good post... i just logged on specifically to talk jerky and there was your post. thank you for the info on the jerky shelf life. would anything change with the shelf life of wild game jerky?? the duck huntin is real good in az right now.

The thing about making ANY jerky that has an extended shelf life is that you must remove almost all fat from the meat. Refrigeration shouldn't be a part of it at all except when you are brining your meat strips. The whole idea is that the curing & drying process eliminates the need for refrigeration. I've made jerky that has lasted for 9 months on a shelf packed in a ziploc baggie. It woulda lasted longer if I didn't get the munchies and decided to eat what was there.

The fat is what will go Rancid...if all the fat is removed the shelf life of the jerky will depend on how much of the mositure you remove from it..the really dry stuff will last a long time...the more tender stuff not as long...BTW the best way to store it is in a paper bag or in a glass jar with some ventilation in the lid...moisture is the enemy...if its stored in plastic bags condensation will form and then you can get mold growth.,,
Just my .02 for what its worth

Back