Jamie Purviance & Carolina Red Pulled Pork Shoulder

C. Howlett

TVWBB Super Fan
Video is in the WeberNation video library. He's using a completely prestine, virginal WSM. You have to register but it is worth it.

wsmsmile8gm.gif

Weber National url

cool, but someone should tell him that water doesn't keep the meat moist
icon_wink.gif
and why did he put the top rack on when he was just using the bottom rack? good watch though
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Great video! Liked Jamie's comments about the WSM. I have two six pounders that should be ready to pull off the fire at about 2:00 P.M. Lucky me!
icon_smile.gif

If you place the top rack in the cooker while only using the bottom rack, at least you know where it is
icon_biggrin.gif

Maybe it keeps the meat moist
icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Tony C.:
the smoked chicken like he did it is very good. i've done it a few times.

The smoked chicken is from his Charcoal Grilling book. It's mind numbingly easy to do it on the WSM. Full load of charcoal, vents wide open, i.e. about 350 degrees, smoke 1.5 - 2 hours and done. I reiterate my nomination of this recipe as a first cook for new bulletheads.

yea, i have the book. i haven't done it on the WSM yet though. both times i did it was before i got the WSM.

I just watched the video. It's interesting how he placed the chicken with it's, er,...vent facing the coals to cook the dark meat over a higher heat.

I wonder how you'd set up a 3-burner gas grill to emulate Jamie's crescent-shaped charcoal layer... instead of the 2 outside burners on medium and the center one off, perhaps the 2 back burners on medium and the front one off?

It would be a pretty tight squeeze to place the chicken that way (front-to-back) though, without it partially sitting on top of the middle burner. If it does fit, maybe 180° the chicken during the last 5 minutes to facilitate browning on the breast?

Rita

I normally like these video's on Weber Nation. But this one was a dud on so many different levels. If a newbie followed Jamies directions to a tee, his WSM would be on the curb along with his Brinkman.

I was disappointed that Weber allowed this to be on their web page. Some of the things I saw that made me wonder were:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>No discussion of what the temperature should be.
<LI>Why was the pork butt put on the 2nd shelf and not the first?
<LI>Jamie were you really serious about that much charcoal lasting 10+ hours?
<LI>How did you know that "done" was really "done"? No thermometers were used at all.
<LI>How did you prep the meat? It certainly does not come that way from the store.
[/list]

I wonder if Jamie was really happy with this production?

JB:

You raise excellent points. Reminds me once again of the discussion questioning just how committed Weber is to the WSM as opposed to the more popular gas grills, etc.

Yet another clear demonstration that the definitive WSM book will likely be published in conjunction with this board and NOT by the parent company.

Originally posted by Tony C.:
cool, but someone should tell him that water doesn't keep the meat moist
icon_wink.gif
and why did he put the top rack on when he was just using the bottom rack? good watch though
wsmsmile8gm.gif

You have to understand the reason why he is providing you recipes is to sell weber products. He is basically showcasing the WSM and its features.

Is it me or did the butt not look tender and pullable? It looked like he was struggling to pull the meat with the forks.

Erik

EG,

It looked to me like the coals burned out at the five hour mark, and he finished the cook in the oven for another five hours. It looked tough and extremely dry. No wonder he pured the Carolina Red Sauce on the meat in the bowel.

Have I been using my WSM with the door upside down all these years or did he have HIS door upside down?

I agree with the other comments that the video is a little incomplete.

Back