Jamacian Jerk rub/marinade

david wittrock

Has anyone tried or have a recipe for Jamacian Jerk rub or marinade to use for smoking pork ribs(anyone who has attempted I would be interested in your resulting taste)? I currently use the Renowned Mr. Brown rubn on my ribs which I find very tasty but would like to experiment.

from the barbeque bible:

2/3 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup coarse salt
1/4 cup freeze dried chives
2 tbsps ground black pepper
2 tbsps garlic powder
1-4 teaspoons habanero chili powder (btw, if you know where to find this please let me know)
1 tbsps dried thyme
2 teaspoons ground all spice
2 tspns ground coriander
1 tspn ground cinnamon
2 tspns dried ginger
1/2 tspn ground cloves
1/2 tspn ground nutmeg

I don't know about a marinda but you could always add olive oil to the rub above, and make a nice baste which should give you a nice crust

Here's mine. Don't usually do it on ribs, but it's great on a butt. I ususally like a boneless butt for this so I can get the paste inside it and then tie it up. Great on Pork tenderloin on the grill as well.

6-12 Scotch bonnet or habanero chile, stemmed
1 medium onion
1 bunch scallions
1 bunch chives
6 cloves garlic
1 cup cilantro
2 Tbsp ginger
2 Tbsp coarse salt
1 Tbsp fresh thyme
2 tsp ground allspice (from whole berries)
1 T freshly ground white pepper
½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1/8 cup lime juice
1/8 cup dark rum
¼ cup brown sugar
2 Tbsp soy sauce
vegetable oil

Roughly chop first 7 ingredients. Place all ingredients in food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Run processor and drizzle in olive oil until a thick paste forms. It's important to use allspice berries and fresh nutmeg, not the little jar with the red top!

As for the habanero powder try the Spice House. They are at www.thespicehouse.com. I made the mistake of trying spicehouse.com initially.

If you just plain old want to buy some excellent jerk marinades, go to that not-for-profit online joint www.23degreesnorth.com (they send the money back to the caribbean) and get the Busha Brownes or Walkerswood or Eatons. Wow, they are super! We just had Walkerswood on drumsticks the other day, indirect grilled. Good eats!

I've made jerk ribs and pulled pork, and they're both fantastic. Of all the stuff I smoke, they may be the most popular thing among my wife and friends. A couple tips:

I'd recommend using a wet paste, like John W's recipe or my own, instead of a powder. Also, for pork butt, it's nice to cut the butt into smaller pieces, say a pound or two each, in order to get more surface area seasoned (or you could use country ribs.) I usually marinate the meat overnight.

Apple is a good wood to smoke it with. I'd go "medium" with the smoke level.

Thanks Geoff, is it possible to inject any liquid(maybe blend your ingredients) versus cutting up the port butts? Or maybe setting aside some marinade(unused) and adding to pork butt after pulled? I like the timing of 2 pork butts on top and about a 10lb brisket on bottom rack getting done about the same time.

I can recommend the Busha Browne's already mentioned - it's pretty salty but good. I tend to use this on ribs and cook them as per "dry" method to give a bit of chew and a bit of heat. I suspect this isn't what most people on this board are trying to achieve but my wife and I love it. I have to go out of my way (to Waitrose - a UK supermarket) to get it, they must wonder when I buy eight jars of jerk marinade and a bottle or two of wine!
The Barbecue Bible (or possibly BB Rubs book or How to Grill - certainly a Raichlen recipe) has a good one too rather than the one above, it includes a high proportion of spring onions (scallions?) but it takes a lot of effort to make, though sometimes that's half the enjoyment.
Regarding taste the Busha Browne's gives a good degree of heat but if you use too much (a lot) it ends up salty. In fact our initial aim was to reproduce the "salt & chilli" ribs we got from a Chinese take away. The jars are small - I guess I use about a third of a jar to a rack of ribs.
Good luck in your search.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by david wittrock:
Thanks Geoff, is it possible to inject any liquid(maybe blend your ingredients) versus cutting up the port butts? Or maybe setting aside some marinade(unused) and adding to pork butt after pulled? I like the timing of 2 pork butts on top and about a 10lb brisket on bottom rack getting done about the same time. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You don't have to cut up the butt. I make deep slashes in the butts to pack some paste in before rubbing it all over the outside. I do the same with chicken. The recipe I use is similar to John's without the rum. I like citrus wood for smoke, or citrus mixed with pimento wood--I never have enough to use pimento straight, but I'd like to.

Made my Super Bowl cook and was a huge success. Cooked 2 7lb pork butts--one with Jamacian Jerk(Geoff's recipe), 9lb brisket, and 3 slabs of spares--one with jerk marinade. Usual bbq eat'n crowd over and the jerk food was a huge hit. After making a single recipe amount of jerk sauce to marinade butt/ribs with, loved the taste so much I made another double batch of marinade(hard to quit tasting this stuff). Used the double batch to mix into the pre jerk marinated pork butt while pulling. Great taste! I recommend this to anyone who likes to switch up flavors.

Back