Jail Bird Chicken Gets Canned!

Bob Richert

My second cook on the Cajun Bandit was a beer can version of Harry Soo's Jail Bird chicken. Great recipe and great results.

See the Cook Log

Jailbird2.jpg

Beautiful bird. That's the largest one pound chicken I ever saw.
icon_smile.gif
I think there will be lots of Harry Soo references coming here. I'd like to dive into that one.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Looks nice but you should probably take notes or something next time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks...here are the notes if you want to see them.

Cook Log for Jail Bird Chicken

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob Richert:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Looks nice but you should probably take notes or something next time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks...here are the notes if you want to see them.

Cook Log for Jail Bird Chicken </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bob, I was just giving you a hard time. Your notes are quite thorough.

Nice looking Chicken & great job with notes/data! I start off "trying" to keep good notes, but alas, by the time the cook expires... so has my note taking ability!

What are you using to create your notes? Is this a canned program or something you have put together? It's a nice presentation.

Wow, RD is right - that's nice documentation.

Now, am I seeing a cart under that bad boy ? Aluminum ?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RDOwens:
What are you using to create your notes? Is this a canned program or something you have put together? It's a nice presentation. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks. The cook log is a spreadsheet I created in Microsoft Excel.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mark B:
Wow, RD is right - that's nice documentation.

Now, am I seeing a cart under that bad boy ? Aluminum ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is a cart made of a 2x4x3/4 exterior plywood. Covered by a oil drip pan from Walmart. The casters a 3" urethane from Harbor Freight, 2 swivel with locks, 2 fixed. The handle is a furniture dolly handle from HF as well. It does a great job of moving the cooker around the lanai and keeping the smoking crud and hot ashes off of the pool deck.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j biesinger:
how was the tang on there? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's just a dusting but I think it brightens up the flavor a little as citrus always does.

I noticed you use a "beer can support device". Where can you purchase this?? (no luck with Google). Will a can hold the bird by itself?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nate C:
I noticed you use a "beer can support device". Where can you purchase this?? (no luck with Google). Will a can hold the bird by itself? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nate...here is picture of the one I use. And a link to search results

41-bi3RTgEL._SL160_AA115_.jpg

My search results

i'm going to try harry's recipe today on some thighs. i just realized i'm out of brown sugar and am trying to decide if i want to go to the store or just use equal amounts of turbinado. i'll probably go to the store so i can do the recipe as described the first time and see how we like it.

Would you mind sharing that excel spread sheet you've made up
icon_smile.gif

Back