j besinger - Question on the Ginger Scallion Noodles

Made 10-11 oz each from the Momofuku recipe and from the second one posted in my email above.

Momofuku recipe was awfully dry and wouldn't come together. I made 1/4 recipe by weight. I started with 75 gram water (which included 5 gram of Kansui water). I needed to add 30 more gram of water to get it to come together where I could knead it. It was still tough, but a night in the fridge helped a bit. And it rolled out and cut fine.

I basically halved the second recipe but went a little heavier on the water to start. I ended up adding about another 1/8 to 1/4 cup of flour end to end. It was smoother and light and the cut noodles are more tender.

Serving of each in the fridge now and another serving of each in the freezer.

Want to make the ginger scallion sauce and let it set for a day before using it.

Both samples were very good! The Momofuku ones were just more firm and more bite. The second recipe "kinked" a little which was pretty cool. They were a little softer, but still had a great mouth feel/bite.

Either one works very well, quite happy. Have the kansui water now. Definitely worth the effort. These came together very quickly.

For serving I made a sauce modified a bit from this recipe :

I used mixed mushrooms sauteed briefly in butter and some oil from the ginger scallion sauce.

I did make up the ginger scallion sauce from David Changs book. I didn't like it much. Perhaps I used to much green from the scallions.

I modified it by making it more "traditional" by heating up 3/4 cup of fresh peanut oil and dumping it into the jar of the recipe. I then added just a little sugar, a little more vinegar, a little more soy sauce and some roasted sesame oil. All of this was to taste. I liked this end result MUCH better. I also think it will keep longer in the oil.

It all worked great together. Very happy. I need to move on to other stages needed to complete the Momofuku Ramen recipe.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I didn't like it much. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think we can be friends anymore
icon_frown.gif

as my wife said: what's not to like about it?

LOL - didn't have trouble eating it. I have to say I like the version that a lot of Chinese actually use. I.E. same recipe, but they take a measure of peanut oil, heat it till it shimmers then poor it into the raw contents.

I like that better than the one in Momofuku. It mellows out, melds the ingredients IMHO.

When you made yours - did you use all the greens of the scallions?

here's a shot of one of my early attempts:
IMG_5112.JPG

we love it, something about the sherry vinegar that makes it so interesting

Made up another batch of scallion sauce for Saturday's cook. Momofuku Ramen for 8 plus the Pork Buns.

So I'm a convert on the GSS recipe in the book. I must have just got some scallion greens that were more bitter somehow than usual. This round was very nice. Had some today on a shredded pork sandwich that also had some tare on it. Last of the left over pork. Belly is gone now too. Shucks. I still like my sauce as mentioned above, glad I researched/experimented a bit.

Do have to servings of the home made ramen noodles that I vac sealed in the freezer. So will have another shot. I try some with the straight up ginger scallion recipe.

BTW I did the fried brussels sprouts with fish suace vinaigrette. Killer. Don't think I was sprouts any other way now (neither does my wife). Will be giving the cauliflower a try this week, still have some vinaigrette left. Can't wait.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">BTW I did the fried brussels sprouts with fish suace vinaigrette. Killer. Don't think I was sprouts any other way now (neither does my wife). Will be giving the cauliflower a try this week, still have some vinaigrette left. Can't wait. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, the sprouts are killer as is the cauliflower with fish sauce vinaigrette. However, they both pale in comparison to the corn with miso butter!

Anybody who hasn't explored the wonders of this book is living an unfulfilled life.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Anybody who hasn't explored the wonders of this book is living an unfulfilled life. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A friend of mine gave me this book this weekend, as she said it was "too complicated" for her. Seems right up my alley, can't wait.

Got the book when it was first published. Read through it and new it would take some planning to execute any of the recipes as they require ingredients that you make up in advance. Each of which are fantastic in themselves before you combine them into anything.

Every recipe is great. I also get the quarterly magazine. They are complex but not difficult. You read, learn, break them down in to steps. Then when you have all the steps collected, done you assemble.

You don't start with these typically in one day and complete them. They take planning, work ahead.

But - when it comes together. Amazing. Really gives you some appreciation when you visit the original noodle bar in NYC. Went there after cooking several recipes. New what I was ordering and while I was I understood the effort that went into it.

This book is fun and you will learn things that will apply to other efforts for sure.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j biesinger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">BTW I did the fried brussels sprouts with fish suace vinaigrette. Killer. Don't think I was sprouts any other way now (neither does my wife). Will be giving the cauliflower a try this week, still have some vinaigrette left. Can't wait. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, the sprouts are killer as is the cauliflower with fish sauce vinaigrette. However, they both pale in comparison to the corn with miso butter!

Anybody who hasn't explored the wonders of this book is living an unfulfilled life. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ditto - a mainstay for me now. I don' think I want them any other way. Spoiled me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">This book is fun and you will learn things that will apply to other efforts for sure. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

there's a couple of things that I've incorporated into my cooking (miso butter, salt sugar cure, pickled mustard seeds, quick pickled cukes, etc). Working through all the elements for specific dishes gives you new tools to apply to other dishes.

the 48 hr short rib is really cool, and Dave, I know you got an SV rig
icon_smile.gif

Fired up the GSS noodles tonight, using some dried egg noodles from the asian store, and topped with quick cucumber and daikon pickles using the sugar salt pickle (delicious!).

I thought the GSS sauce was a little overpoweringly bitter, but it might be due to these bionic scallions I got from the CSA farm share today: the white parts were round, more like pearl onions than any scallion I've ever seen. Regardless, my wife said it might be her "new favorite thing," and for the effort this dish really packs a punch. Really looking forward to delving deeper into this book and having the mise done on the other ingredients like various pickles especially including the pickled peppers to make the bamboo shoots & etc.

If not using homemade ramen, do you guys tend to use soba noodles or what? I thought that the egg noodles I used today weren't optimal.

Hey Dave that's sort of what threw me off first time. The greens are great when they are mild. But if you get some scallions that are of the style you mention just maybe cut back on the upper darker green areas as they will tend to make things bitter. Best thing take one and eat/taste it first.

After realizing that you need to adjust to the quality of the scallion all is well. Easy and great to have around for lots of things. I often will have some scallions laying about that I simply process now into this. Lasts for a really long time in the fridge. Doesn't suffer with age.

I figured as much. I've never seen scallions that beefy but this particular farm has never really given me a "bad" piece of produce in several years. If I get more of these giant scallions I'll make sure to cook them instead of using them raw; regular scallions are basically free at the asian store.

If scallions are left too long and allowed more time to mature - especially if conditions are warm or hot - the green portions will get stronger and more bitter as the bottoms get more bulbous.

They waited too long to harvest.

Good to know Kevin, if I see the giant scallions in next week's share I'll stick 'em in the trade box in favor of some garlic scapes, if I can...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Regardless, my wife said it might be her "new favorite thing," and for the effort this dish really packs a punch. Really looking forward to delving deeper into this book and having the mise done on the other ingredients like various pickles especially including the pickled peppers to make the bamboo shoots & etc. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That didn't take long at all.

welcome to my world.

icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

Back