I've got the 16lb Chuck Roll on!

Status
Not open for further replies.

B. Foster

TVWBB Fan
I'm having a blast! I've cooked these before in years past but somehow the WSM makes it easier than before.

I put the roll on at 9:15 and as of now the smoker is at 233 degrees(stable) and the meat is at 66 degrees.

I rubbed the meat for ~5 hours...started my coal and thru the big damn piece of beef in. I can't wait to get a good night of sleep while I'm smoking! Jeebus this keeps the temp well.

My daughter has my digital camera or I'd update you with pics. Take care all!
icon_biggrin.gif

Ooooh! I forgot to mention. Whilst I have other smokers, I don't have a Brinkman. One of the other smokers I have has a nice flat water bowl. It doesn't fit between the holders but it's nice and deep. I put that on the bottom grate filled with hot water. So, I guess I have water above water. It seems to be about 3-4 gallons all topped off. I don't think I'll have to change liquid for a bit.
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dale P:
Well its about time to check your coals B F.

Welcome to the site, and good luck with your CR.
DP <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Dale,

I Checked a little while ago, the smoker is holding at 225 and the meat is a 155. I opened the vents and I added about 15 coals, the water's still holding fine. I've got six hours 'til folks come over so I think it'll be done in time.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by B. Foster:
I rubbed the meat for ~5 hours... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>A better man than I.
icon_wink.gif

Hello B. Foster,

I just went back and checked my cooking log from last weekend. You may end up being a little short on time depending on when you're planning to serve.

You're at 155* at 9:06 central time.

It took me 8 hours to get from 154 to 183 with a 14.5 lb chuck roast last weekend. The temps. hit a plateau around 160 as the fat and connective tissue melt.

So I'd guess you're looking at a minimum of another 10 hours cooking.

If that's right you're off the WSM at 7PM your time.

You've also got to figure in at lest 1 hour to rest, preferably a little more.

Hope I'm wrong but you might be finising up in the oven.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Keith H.:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by B. Foster:
I rubbed the meat for ~5 hours... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>A better man than I.
icon_wink.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lol, what can I say...I love my meat.
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ROB O:
Hello B. Foster,

I just went back and checked my cooking log from last weekend. You may end up being a little short on time depending on when you're planning to serve.

You're at 155* at 9:06 central time.

It took me 8 hours to get from 154 to 183 with a 14.5 lb chuck roast last weekend. The temps. hit a plateau around 160 as the fat and connective tissue melt.

So I'd guess you're looking at a minimum of another 10 hours cooking.

If that's right you're off the WSM at 7PM your time.

You've also got to figure in at lest 1 hour to rest, preferably a little more.

Hope I'm wrong but you might be finising up in the oven. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Rob,

You may be right...I have my secret stash of ribs and a whole chicken ready to get put on ~11 am just in case. People will still be hungry at 7!
icon_wink.gif

Not to mention....my super secret weapon. My Roaster!. I've found it pulls off miracles for me without needing foil.

Gotcha.

Send me your address. I'll hop a plane from Islip to Fayetville and be there in time for the ribs.
icon_wink.gif

I put the roll on at 9:15 <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> B: Got my fingers crossed for ya.... should have started at about 21:15 (9:15PM) yesterday me thinks.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Keith H.:
I put the roll on at 9:15 <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> B: Got my finger crossed for ya.... should have started at about 21:15 (9:15PM) yesterday me thinks. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's exactly when I put the roll on! I just may make it!
icon_smile.gif

It's the 160° plateau that I'm concerned about. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same here...as of now the smoker is at 260 degrees. I'll watch the temperature closely.

B: Ur making it difficult for me to go to bed. Don't let the cavity temps get out of control just to get the meat temp up. HOLD FAST!

B: Ur making it difficult for me to go to bed. Don't let the cavity temps get out of control just to get the meat temp up. HOLD FAST! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lol, sorry. I'm holding. The temperature isn't climbing anymore...I've battened down the hatches and the temperature seems to have settled around 255.

Let's see... 16# x 1.5-2 = 24-32 hours
icon_eek.gif

Beef tends to come in at the short end. So...you might make it...

Alternative is that with a 16# chunk, something might be shaved off and put the rest on to finish. Haven't heard of anyone doing that but...IT COULD HAPPEN.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Location: N.W. Arkansas <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> So is WALMART(Bentonville)....hehehehe

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Location: N.W. Arkansas <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> So is WALMART(Bentonville)....hehehehe <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

lol, yep. I'm actually a vendor working on-site at wal-mart(just like everyone else around here it seems). BTW regarding your previous post, I'm trying to follow the cooking times of this person from tvwbb...so I might be right on.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bryan S:
Chuck Rolls take about 1 - 1 1/4 hrs. a lb. Never had them take any longer. Bryan <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As of 2 minutes ago, the roll is at 157 degrees and the smoker is 257. I think I'm on track for 3-4ish. ( I could be wrong though).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back