I've got a handle on this .....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerd H

TVWBB Super Fan
Two actually.

The handles arrived a little over a week ago, and I have not had time ot finish them. This weekend, I applied a few coats of Spar varnish (NOT Spar Urethane), sanding a few strokes with 220 grit in between. I just put the handles on the Red Master-Touch today. I might give them one more sanding and a final coat.

78418452.jpg

These are beautiful oak handles, and as such are naturally very light colored. I thought a very light wood would contrast really nice with the red, so I took quite some time deciding how I wanted to finish and seal them to maintain a light color. In the end, I decided to go with strictly the Spar Varnish so that it would add the slightest bit of color, and provide some durability and UV protection. I used the Ace brand spar varnish because I have read good things about it, it adds a light amber tone, and it was available in the tiny half pint size. I wanted semi gloss, but all they had was gloss. It does not shine very much. Slightly less than in the photos.

When viewed right next to one another, one of the handles is ever so darker than the other (due to my un-expert wood finishing skills). You can not tell a difference now that they are installed. For my next set, I might try and search out a truly clear coat that attempts to not stain the wood at all. However, I am beyond pleased with the results I achieved. Very, very happy.

So Brian: THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU.

Here are the photos, I did not polish the kettle, but it deserves to be cleaned with the new handles on it!

topnvu.jpg

full1sc.jpg

Those really look good! Everytime I see some one with Brian's handles I am one step closer to getting some.

Originally posted by Ted B:
Those really look good! Everytime I see some one with Brian's handles I am one step closer to getting some.

Ted, you will not regret it.

Now that I have looked at the handles outside, and in sunlight, I could not be happier with the color tone. I would definitely do the same process again.

Originally posted by Kevin L (NKY):
Love that look Gerd, would something in a"Marine" type of clear be the way to go for weather protection?

Spar Varnish is a marine varnish. It is used in applications requiring some UV protection, as well as water/weather protection while still remaining flexible (ie a boat spar flexing under sail load). My only concern is the heat generated by the grill, but we will see, and that would do a number on any varnish.

There are Spar Varnishes with less/no tint. Now that I look at it, it is EXACTLY what I was envisioning and would do it the same way again rather than a true clear coat.

I own a burgandy OTG but if I get a chance to ever get a master touch, I am going to jump. I love those grills. Very nice looking.

Originally posted by Gerd H:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kevin L (NKY):
Love that look Gerd, would something in a"Marine" type of clear be the way to go for weather protection?

Spar Varnish is a marine varnish. It is used in applications requiring some UV protection, as well as water/weather protection while still remaining flexible (ie a boat spar flexing under sail load). My only concern is the heat generated by the grill, but we will see, and that would do a number on any varnish.

There are Spar Varnishes with less/no tint. Now that I look at it, it is EXACTLY what I was envisioning and would do it the same way again rather than a true clear coat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are right I forgot about the Spar being all weather, but to your point, isn"t right that varnishes do put a certain amount of aged tint to the wood, that is why restorers use it? But if it stays close to what you have now it is a great look,and looks good on that grill, love those.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back