It's Slow-Cooker Time

Just what I need, another binder to put on the shelf. lol It is a binder for the recipes that we have made in a slow cooker. Sorted by chicken, beef, pork and misc. I made sure there was not a copy of same recipe in the binder of slow cooker recipes to make. I know, TMI lol. At least I had a fun day. :giggle: Hope you all did also.

DH saw this recipe yesterday and said he would like to make it again. Only thing was, we only gave it a "good" rating. Does anyone have any ideas on how we can make it a "very good" dish? (nothing hot please)

Slow-Cooker Beef Brisket with Beer

1 (3 lb.) beef brisket, trimmed
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
cooking spray
1/4 cup water
2 cups vertically sliced onion (about 1 large)
1 1/2 cup chopped parsnip (about 2)
1 TB. balsamic vinegar
1 bay leaf
1 (12 oz.) bottle light beer

1. Rub brisket with salt and pepper. Heat a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add brisket to pan; cook 10 minutes, browning on all sides. Remove the brisket from the pan. Add 1/4 cup water to pan, stirring to loosen browned bits. Add onion and parsnip; saute 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
2. Place onion mixture, vinegar, bay leaf and beer in a large electric slow cooker. Place brisket on top of onion mixture. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours. Discard bay leaf. Cut brisket diagonally across the grain into thin slices. Serve with sauce.

Source: Cooking Light mag. Jan. 2007

Made this one yesterday. Haven't tried the whole Enchilada yet, that will be later in the week when Barb gets home late. But I did taste the meat mixture, definitely a different spin on Mexican food.
Will post our thoughts when we have it.

Shredded Beef Enchiladas

Ingredients
2 1/2 pounds chuck roast
salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 cups low-sodium beef broth
1 cup salsa , your favorite kind, or substitute a can of diced tomatoes with green chiles
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
2 Tablespoons cornstarch + 2 Tablespoons water, mixed together to make a cornstarch slurry
10- 12 taco sized flour tortillas, or 12-15 corn tortillas (warmed on a dry hot skillet first)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese

Instructions
Season the roast on all sides with salt and pepper and place it in the bottom of your slow cooker.
Whisk together beef broth, salsa, cumin, chili powder, oregano, onion powder, and garlic powder. Pour over roast.
Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours or until beef is tender and shreds easily. Remove roast to a large plate and shred.
Pour the sauce from the slow cooker into a saucepan over medium heat. Slowly whisk in cornstarch slurry. Cook for a few minutes until sauce begins to thicken. Taste and add additional salt and pepper, or other seasonings, if needed.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Pour 1/2 cup of sauce over the beef and toss. Fill each tortilla with a spoonful of shredded beef and shredded cheese. Roll up and place in the pan, seam-side down.
Pour desired amount of sauce over the enchiladas. Top with remaining cheese. Bake for 30 minutes, until bubbly.

OVER

Serve topped with optional garnishes of pico de gallo, sour cream, avocado, chopped cilantro or green onions and a side of Authentic Mexican Rice.

Notes
Instant Pot: Prepare the beef and sauce according to recipe instructions. Add them to the Instant Pot and cook on Manual/High Pressure for 75 minutes, with a 10 minute natural release. Proceed with recipe instructions for assembling and baking enchiladas.

Freezing Instructions: Prepared enchiladas can be frozen for up to 3 months, before baking. Thaw overnight in the fridge and then bake as instructed, or bake from frozen, covered in aluminum foil for about 1 hour 20 minutes, then uncover and bake for an additional 20-30 minutes or until warm and bubbly.

*I prefer to freeze the sauce separately, pouring it into a container from the slow cooker, to prevent the tortillas from getting soggy. Assemble the enchiladas but don't pour the sauce on top. Cover with aluminum foil. Thaw sauce and enchiladas overnight in the fridge. Warm the sauce in a saucepan and thicken with cornstarch, then pour over enchiladas and bake as instructed.

Mark, until we get around to trying your recipe, I found this one we made 3 years ago and might make soon. It did get a "Very Good" rating from us. lol Some of you may wish to wait till it's a little bit cooler outside . (calls for using your broiler and burner for a while)

Slow Cooker Korean-Style Chicken Wings

3 TB. cornstarch
3 TB. lime juice
3/4 cup honey
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup sriracha
1 TB. sesame oil
1 TB. grated ginger
4 garlic cloves, minced
4 lbs. chicken wings, split at joints, tips removed
1/4 cup sliced green onions
1 to 2 TB. toasted sesame seeds

1. In slow cooker, stir cornstarch and lime juice until cornstarch is dissolved.
2. Add honey, soy sauce, sriracha, sesame oil, ginger and garlic. Mix until well blended.
3. Add wings and stir until wings are coated with honey mixture.
4. Cover and cook on high for 2 hours or low for 4 hours.
5. Line a shallow baking pan with aluminum foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
6. Remove wings from sauce and place on foil lined baking pan.
7. Pour sauce into small saucepan. Cook over medium heat until sauce is reduced and thickened.
8. Heat broiler on high.
9. Broil wings for 18 to 20 minutes, turning and brushing with sauce, until wings are browned and crispy.
10. Sprinkle with green onions and sesame seeds before serving. Serve with additional sauce, if desired.

Source: Hamilton Beach

This is tonight's dinner.

Open-Faced Orange and Cumin-Spiced Pork Sandwiches

1 orange
2 limes
1 TB. paprika
2 tsp. ground cumin
6 whole cloves (optional)
Kosher salt and pepper
1/2 cinnamon stick
3 lbs. pork butt or shoulder, trimmed and cut into 4" pieces
1/2 small red onion
4 slices country bread
1 bunch spinach, thick stems discarded

1. Zest the orange into a 5 to 6 qt. slow cooker. Squeeze the juice of the orange and limes into a measuring cup (you should have about 3/4 cup total). Transfer all but 1/4 cup of the juice to the slow cooker; refrigerate the remaining juice.
2. Add the paprika, cumin, cloves (if using), 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper to the slow cooker and whisk to combine; add the cinnamon stick. Add the pork and toss to coat. Cook, covered, until the pork is tender and easily pulls apart, on low for 7 to 8 hours or on high for 5 to 6 hours.
3. When the pork has 15 minutes left to cook, thinly slice the onion and add it to the reserved juice. Let sit, tossing occasionally, until ready to use. Toast the bread.
4. Remove the cinnamon stick. Using forks, shred the pork and stir it into the cooking liquid. Push the pork to one side. Add the spinach to the other side; season with 1/4 tsp salt and toss until beginning to wilt. Top the bread with the pork, spinach and onions.

Source: W. D. mag. Oct. 2011

We did not have the spinach and we did not have it on bread. We had it on Romaine leaves. DH really liked the orange and cumin combination and enjoyed it very much. I was not to thrilled with it. The meat tasted too dry to me. I had to put a little mayo on the leaves.

Here's one that I think looks good although I haven't tried it yet too busy getting operations on my feet and completely and I do mean completely cleaning the whole interior of our house. After having all the old tile and carpet replaced. Didn't know that they had to grind down the old kwick set that held the old tile down. The whole interior of the house has a thick layer of fine dust like flour. Walls, drapes, windows, blinds, cabinets, inside the cabinets, all the kitchen utensils, clothes in the closets, every square inch is covered in concrete dust. Been at it two weeks now and still not done.
It was bad enough to give me acute bronchitis and send to the ER for help, I couldn't breath and that was with a mask on.
But enough of my woes, sorry to get off track here.

I love using my two inside Weber's in bad weather and hot summer days ( been 100 here three days already)
This recipe takes a few extra steps, but I think it may be worth it.

View attachment 29915

Beef and Broccoli Slow Cooker

Serves: 6 servings

Ingredients

2 Tbsp. canola oil
2-lb. chuck roast, trimmed of fat and cut into 2-inch pieces
¼ cup soy sauce
¼ cup orange juice
1 tsp powdered ginger
2 cloves garlic, minced
Pinch of cayenne pepper
3 cups broccoli florets
¼ tsp sesame oil
2 Tbsp. cold water
1 Tbsp. cornstarch
1 Tbsp. orange marmalade
Hot cooked rice (optional)
2 green onions, sliced
Toasted sesame seeds (optional)*

Instructions
Add canola oil to a large skillet over medium-high heat. Wait for oil to get very hot. Add chuck roast and brown on all sides.
When the beef is cool enough to handle, slice it into 3-inch chunks. Place chunks in slow cooker.
In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, 3 Tbsp. of the orange juice, ginger, garlic, and cayenne pepper. Pour mixture over beef in slow cooker.
Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.
Turn heat to high setting (if using low) and add broccoli and sesame oil. Stir well to combine. Cook 15 additional minutes.
Using a slotted spoon, remove beef chunks from slow cooker. Using 2 forks, break meat into bite-sized pieces into a large bowl. Add broccoli; cover and keep warm.
Combine the cornstarch and water in a small bowl. Stir well to combine.
Strain cooking liquid through a strainer and into a small saucepan. Add cornstarch mixture. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for an additional 2 minutes. Stir in orange marmalade and remaining 1 Tbsp. orange juice.
Divide rice into 6 bowls. Top with beef and broccoli mixture and drizzle sauce on top. Sprinkle with green onions and sesame seeds.
Rich, DH tried to make this for last nights dinner. I don't know what happened. Never got to the part where you add the broccoli. The meat and everything dried up and turned black. DH used 1 lb. of London Broil, but full recipe of everything else. I think it was a case of too little meat and too long cooking time. I am setting the recipe aside to try it again some other time. Have you made this yet?

Bill, we don't have too many cold days to use our slow cooker down here, but we have a lot of days when its too hot to grill. lol

Thank you for the recipe. Copied and in our make soon folder already. Really do like hominy and red beans and you know DH likes the idea of the salsa and cheese. lol (yea, sure -optional -ha ha)

Grilling outside might be a little too hot for some. And using the oven only makes the kitchen hotter. So, now would be a good time to use your slow-cooker, if you have one. So, with Chris's blessing, let's post what good RECIPES we all make with our slow-cooker right here.
Not too hot for us desert rats ! I do cook a lot of beans in the Instant Pot though. Would be doing them on the grill if they didn't fall through the grate:) Also great for cooking up spuds or mac for salads.

Usually just cook up some dried red kidney and/or pinto beans and add some rib trimmings, some kind of sausage or left over meat, some BBQ sauce and any veggies on hand that need to be used up. No real recipe, but a great way to keep food from going to waste. Love my beans.

Last edited:
Mark, until we get around to trying your recipe, I found this one we made 3 years ago and might make soon. It did get a "Very Good" rating from us. lol Some of you may wish to wait till it's a little bit cooler outside . (calls for using your broiler and burner for a while)

Slow Cooker Korean-Style Chicken Wings

3 TB. cornstarch
3 TB. lime juice
3/4 cup honey
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup sriracha
1 TB. sesame oil
1 TB. grated ginger
4 garlic cloves, minced
4 lbs. chicken wings, split at joints, tips removed
1/4 cup sliced green onions
1 to 2 TB. toasted sesame seeds

1. In slow cooker, stir cornstarch and lime juice until cornstarch is dissolved.
2. Add honey, soy sauce, sriracha, sesame oil, ginger and garlic. Mix until well blended.
3. Add wings and stir until wings are coated with honey mixture.
4. Cover and cook on high for 2 hours or low for 4 hours.
5. Line a shallow baking pan with aluminum foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
6. Remove wings from sauce and place on foil lined baking pan.
7. Pour sauce into small saucepan. Cook over medium heat until sauce is reduced and thickened.
8. Heat broiler on high.
9. Broil wings for 18 to 20 minutes, turning and brushing with sauce, until wings are browned and crispy.
10. Sprinkle with green onions and sesame seeds before serving. Serve with additional sauce, if desired.

Source: Hamilton Beach
Well, it took another 4 months to get around to trying this again, but this was last nights dinner. And, it got a "Very Good" rating again. DH served them with some home made coleslaw called "Tropical Coleslaw" with a vinegar, pineapple juice, dark Rum dressing instead of mayo that surprisingly turned out very good. (recipe on request).

DH made this for us a few weeks ago. Sorry, forgot to share. It was very good and tasty.

Italian Chicken Thighs with Asiago-Garlic Sauce

2 TB. Italian seasoning, divided
1 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
8 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
2 TB. unsalted butter
1 TB. minced fresh garlic
1/2 cup dry white wine
3/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup half-and half
1 1/4 cups grated Asiago, divided
2 oz. cream cheese, cubed

1. Combine 1 TB. Italian seasoning, salt and pepper, then rub on all sides of thighs.
2. Melt butter in a saute pan over medium-high. Sear thighs in two batches until brown on all sides, 8-10 minutes. Transfer thighs to a 4-to 6 qt. slow cooker; pour off all but 1 TB. drippings from pan.
3. Add garlic and remaining 1 TB. Italian Seasoning to pan; cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
4. Deglaze pan with wine, scraping up any brown bits. Cook until wine is reduced by half. Stir in broth and half-and-half; heat just to simmer.
5. Add 1 cup Asiago and cream cheese, whisking until cheeses melt and sauce is thickened; season with salt and pepper. Pour sauce over thighs.
6. Cover slow cooker and cook thighs until tender on low setting, 3 1/2 to 4 hours.
7. Transfer thighs to a serving platter and top with remaining 1/4 cup Asiago. Serve thighs with sauce. Makes 4 servings.

Source: Cuisine At Home

Last edited:
Oh has anyone used the slow cooker option on their Instant Pot? I've read pretty mixed reviews on that option and haven't used it. My thought is: Have you ever seen a slow-cooker with a metal liner?
Yep. Got rid of the slow cooker when I got my wife an Instant Pot last Christmas. You need to use the More setting, as Timothy says, and add ~25% to the time you'd cook for in a slow cooker on low. Also be sure not to seal the IP. I bring whatever I'm cooking to a slow boil using the sauté function before switching to slow cooker mode, unless it's too thick, otherwise it takes forever to reach temperature.

Just don't use our slow-cooker often enough. While going through the Slow-Cooker binder of recipes we have made, I found this one. It has been almost a year since we made it. It was a goody.

Moroccan-Style Short Ribs

1 TB. dried thyme, crushed
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. ground black pepper
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
3 1/2 lbs. beef short ribs
2 TB. olive oil
3 cups beef broth
1 16 oz. can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
1 14 1/2 oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 large onion, cut into thin wedges
1 medium fennel bulb, trimmed and cut into thin wedges
1 cup chopped carrot
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 10 oz. package quick-cooking couscous
1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives, halved

1. In a small bowl, combine thyme, salt, ginger, pepper and cinnamon. Sprinkle evenly over short ribs; rub in with your fingers. In a large skillet, brown short ribs, half at a time, in hot oil over medium-high heat. Drain off fat. In a 6 to 7 quart slow cooker, combine broth, beans, undrained tomatoes, onion, fennel, carrot and garlic; top with short ribs.
2. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 9 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 1/2 to 5 hours. Using a slotted spoon, transfer ribs and vegetables to a serving dish. If desired, moisten with cooking liquid. Meanwhile, prepare couscous according to package directions. Stir in almonds and olives. Serve with short ribs and vegetables. Makes 8 servings

Source: BH&G Slow Cooker Meals - 2007

All I can say for now is this smells real good cooking. How it taste? Will post later. lol

Zesty Carnitas Tacos

Lime juice in the crema give these tacos a good zing!
Prep:
30 mins
Cook:
4 hrs
Total:
4 hrs 30 mins
Servings:
Yield:
16 tacos
Zesty Carnitas Tacos

Ingredients​

Carnitas:
  • 1 (2 pound) boneless pork shoulder roast
  • ½ cup chopped onion
  • ⅓ cup orange juice
  • 1 tablespoon cumin
  • 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
  • ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
Lime Crema:
  • 1 lime, zested and juiced
  • 2 (5.3 ounce) containers plain fat-free Greek yogurt
  • ½ teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 pinch chili powder (Optional)
Tacos:
  • 16 (6 inch) soft yellow corn tortillas
  • 4 leaves green cabbage, shredded
  • 1 cup very thinly sliced red onion
  • 1 cup pico de gallo (Optional)

Directions​

Instructions Checklist
  • Step 1
    Carnitas: Trim fat from pork. Cut pork into 2- to 3-inch pieces; transfer to a 4-quart slow cooker. Stir in onion, orange juice, cumin, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, oregano, and cayenne.
  • Step 2
    Cover and cook on Low 8 to 10 hours, or on High 4 to 5 hours. Transfer pork to a large bowl; shred using 2 forks. Add enough cooking liquid from slow cooker to moisten.
  • Step 3
    Lime Crema: Add 2 tablespoons lime juice to a small bowl. Stir in yogurt and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Dust with chili powder.
  • Step 4
    Tacos: Serve pork in tortillas with cabbage, red onion, and pico de gallo (if using). Garnish with crema and lime zest.
Source: Allrecipe mag. 12/17

Dinner tonight, and yes, once again, it smells delicious cooking. Results later.

Well, made the big mistake of having salsa and guac on chips before the tacos and got filled up so I only ate 1 taco and DH ate two. So, yes, we have a lot of leftovers. DH gave it an excellent and I gave it a good. Maybe a better rating next time when I am not sooo full. lol

Back