It's my birthday today and...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Etheridge

TVWBB Super Fan
...for my present, (in addition to her letting me go see Auburn/USC) she wants to get me a couple of good knives. I told her that Forschner is the brand I want and after searching through the forum, I've settled on a Chef's knife, a boning knife, and a paring knife.

I was looking on Discountknives.com and noticed that there are several versions of the boning knife and two versions of the paring knife.

Which one of the boning and paring knives would everyone recommend?
-------------------------
Mark WAR EAGLE!!

PS In case you are curious, I'm 34 today.

Sorry, I can't help out on the knives as they are next on my list too. Just wanted to wish you a Happy Birthday!

Have fun at the game.

The standard paring knife is what is most versatile. The curved blade is more for intricate garnishing tasks.

For the boning knife, it depends on whether it will be used for tasks that require the heavier blade vs. the regular. I have two regulars, a Trident and Dick. One is in my work kit, one at home. I never recommend knives, as each person's needs and hands are different. I've currently been looking for new ones, and most do not feel comfortable to me. These include Wustof, Global and Messermeister. I had my heart set on a Wustof or Global Santoku, but they both just don't feel right to me.

Well, the differences are really gonna help you with different things. The flexible is good for filleting fish and removing the skin, it's flexibility hugs against the bones for better yields. The nonflexible version would be good for poultry, the sharp tip and thin blade will easily find the joints and will also make puling the breast off of the carcass a breeze. And the heavy blade works best for breaking down large cuts of meat and cleaning beef, it will also be good for poultry if cutting throught the carcass (like along the backbone for spatchcocked chicken). I have a global flexible and a nonflexible that i love, you probably don't need all 3, unless you can get them all for your gift. mo toys mo betta /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Also just an FYI I had to cancel my order at discountknives.com. They backordered my stuff & did not tell me. They also would not respond to any of my emails. When I was ordering 3-4 weeks ago I could not find a phone number anywhere.

I did end up ordering a 6" boning (Victorinox) Love it.

-Eric

Hey Mark,

Happy Birthday! Hope you get what you want or at least what you think you want...

I just hate it I have to wait until April until I have my big day and talk my wife into some new knives. I see a boning and maybe one of those serrated things in my future.

Pork Eat World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back