It's been a long time coming but I finally pulled the trigger on a WSM 22... A couple questions

Mike_S

TVWBB Member
Hi all,

I have been a long time lurker knowing at some time I was going to buy a WSM. I finally took the step and dropped a deposit on one from my local Weber dealer. Of course I wasn't aware of another price increase so I wish I did it sooner. Anyway, I have a few questions as a new owner:

1. I just built a new deck using composite decking last year. Is it safe to use the WSM 22 on the deck? Is the heat shield effective enough?
  2. I think I've done enough research on setting up the cooker for long cooks, but how would you go about setting up for shorter cooks like ribs?
  3. What brand wood chunks do you use? I have B&B from my local Ace but most of the bag seems to be large chips vs consistent chunks.

TIA!

Buy yourself a couple of 24x36 auto oil drip steel pans. They cost almost nothing.

They will keep grease and charcoal from staining your deck. Also provide a nice safe place (whether on the ground or on a table as a work space) to put down hot and/or messy things without worry. The cooker (even without the heat shield) probably doesn't generate enough heat to mess with your deck. But lit coals, a hot lid, a hot chimney or other hot metal things might.

Nothing special about a short cook. Any unspent coals can be snuffed out when you are done, left in the cooker and re-used on your next cook.

If you don't like the wood you can get locally, you can buy on the internet. Many folks on here like Fruita Wood, but there's several other good vendors too.

Last edited:
This^^
And you can also flip those metal trays over. This offers an airspace so if you do put down something hot like a chimney it doesent come in immediate contact with your composite decking.

As for the heat issue, I see the inverted pan concept as being very effective but, I might take it one step farther and put (thin) firebricks to increase insulating qualities. Especially on composite. Finding the right place for the chimney is a very serious consideration as well.
Yes, better chunks=better results! Living here finding someone trimming out fruit trees isn’t too tough but, some of the other nut woods are harder to come by and ordering is the way to get the better product. From my experience, the stuff from big box stores are really spotty as far as “freshness” goes.
Welcome and nice pig!

Hi all,

I have been a long time lurker knowing at some time I was going to buy a WSM. I finally took the step and dropped a deposit on one from my local Weber dealer. Of course I wasn't aware of another price increase so I wish I did it sooner. Anyway, I have a few questions as a new owner:

1. I just built a new deck using composite decking last year. Is it safe to use the WSM 22 on the deck? Is the heat shield effective enough?
  2. I think I've done enough research on setting up the cooker for long cooks, but how would you go about setting up for shorter cooks like ribs?
  3. What brand wood chunks do you use? I have B&B from my local Ace but most of the bag seems to be large chips vs consistent chunks.

TIA!
Just to throw something out there have you looked for a used one? There are quite a few WSM 18 and 22's around here at reasonable prices. A lot of people are "upgrading" to pellet grills.

Just to throw something out there have you looked for a used one? There are quite a few WSM 18 and 22's around here at reasonable prices. A lot of people are "upgrading" to pellet grills.
I’ve been lurking CL and Facebook marketplace. A few kettles but haven’t found any wsm. Bbq, while certainly growing, still isn’t super popular in my area.

As for the heat issue, I see the inverted pan concept as being very effective but, I might take it one step farther and put (thin) firebricks to increase insulating qualities. Especially on composite. Finding the right place for the chimney is a very serious consideration as well.
Yes, better chunks=better results! Living here finding someone trimming out fruit trees isn’t too tough but, some of the other nut woods are harder to come by and ordering is the way to get the better product. From my experience, the stuff from big box stores are really spotty as far as “freshness” goes.
Welcome and nice pig!

I guess I'm just surprised since I always thought B&B was quality product. I know people love their charcoal at least. I'm more concerned with the size consistency.

I guess I'm just surprised since I always thought B&B was quality product. I know people love their charcoal at least. I'm more concerned with the size consistency.
Mike,
Welcome and congrats on your upcoming purchase. B&B is great charcoal, but most (to all) bagged store bought wood chunks are going to be kiln dried. Good quality smoking wood chunks are not going to be kiln dried. If you can't find local wood chucks, check out Fruita Wood online. I just placed my first order, still waiting for it so I don't have first hand experience yet, but have high hopes with others here I trust having high praise for there wood.

“Western” is the big box and grocery store variety around here, it’s pretty much consistent, it’s OK but, places like Fruita Wood and others offer much higher quality products. Full disclosure, I have only used some olive wood from someone that was a gift and it was amazing!
I tend to gravitate toward fist sized pieces as much as possible.

Back