Its been 20 hours since I purchased my WSM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garrett Rowe

TVWBB Member
Bit the bullet and drove 50mi. each way (Dayton to Cinci) to get my WSM. On my way home stopped at Meijer got a rack of ribs and a briskit flat. Bought my smoker home and assembled it (no mods.) and had the ring full of Kingsford and hockory in about 30 min. Fired up 20-25 briqs in my chimney and fired up smoker using Minion method and was cooking by 3:00 yesterday afternoon. Ribs came off at 9:30, AWESOME. The best tasting batch of ribs I have ever made. I just checked the unit about half an hour ago, had to gently stir the coals and got em' coaxed right back up to 230*. I'm excited to see how the brisket will come out as it is my first ever. What are the telltale signs of doneness for a brisket?

Love the WSM and this tremendously helpful forum. Even for a WSM newbie like myself, keeping the temps under control and the water pan full were a breeze. I look forward to many more smokes and an increased understanding of the pit.

Oh yeah.. does anyone know of any of the larger retailers who carry oak chunks? Haven't been able to find them anywhere around here only hickory and mesquite.

Also does anyone have any experience using lump charcoal in the WSM? It it very difficult to control the heat?

Thanks to all.
Garrett

Garrett,

Congratulations on your WSM purchase. As you can already testify to, it is a great little cooker and this forum is #1 for information on the WSM and the people here are friendly and always ready to help.

Most retailers in "our" neck of the woods seem only to carry hickory and mesquite. I have used two on-line vendors for wood, most recently www.kingsmoke.com for ordering pecan and sugar maple, with excellent results and great service. You might try local firewood dealers in your area
for some oak wood.

Secondly, I have used lump charcoal many times in my WSM. If you have a Gordon Food Service near you, they carry Royal Oak Lump which is excellent lump. Up here they charge just under $9 for a 20# bag. Not so many problems controlling temps, however, your burn times will diminish some as compared to Kingsford.

Once again, welcome aboard!

Welcome Garrett. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Glad you enjoyed the ribs and your 1st cook on the WSM. I'm sure there will be plenty of others during your 1st season of use.

This coming weekend will be my 5th weekend cook in a row. Two of these were in the rain. Didn't matter. The WSM just performs.

Thanks you guys... I went to GFS yesterday and got a bag of that Royal Oak lump. What a deal. A better deal for better charcoal than that Cowboy lump I got from Lowes. I can see already that my smoker is going to get a workout this season. I have no idea what we are going to do with all the great barbecue I plan on creating. I guess I'll need to recruit some more friends. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back