Italian Sausages

Darrell J.

TVWBB Fan
Just wondering if you all simmer your Italian sausages in beer, onions and butter. I notice that some on the board recommend that for brats and then grill em up, but will it work for Italian sausages? I plan on cooking some tomorrow. Thanks!

Darrel,

I've only used that on brats, but this begs the question, is there anything that onions, beer, and butter dosn't make better?

Enough said on my part
icon_cool.gif

If I were doing brats in the beer-onion Jacuzzi, I would have to put the Italian sausage in there, too.

Everyone talks about beer and brats, but to be quite honest, I prefer italians in beer. I brown em up a bit then pour in about half a beer. Not the cheap bud, miller or coors, I like to use an amber ale, something like sierra nevada. I let it cook down then I pour in the other half the beer, once again it will cook down and what you will have is a delicious thick sauce from all the reduced beer. Do not let it cook too long or hot or your sauce will burn. I cook up about 2 pounds slice it up and put it in a plate with a little mustard. It will dissappear before your eyes.

Let me be the first to say that I bathed the sausages accordingly and that is now my new favorite recipe. After grilling them up I put them back in the bath and let them simmer until ready to serve. I've never seen food disappear so fast. Thanks for the advice!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dan Smith:
Everyone talks about beer and brats, but to be quite honest, I prefer italians in beer. I brown em up a bit then pour in about half a beer. Not the cheap bud, miller or coors, I like to use an amber ale, something like sierra nevada. I let it cook down then I pour in the other half the beer, once again it will cook down and what you will have is a delicious thick sauce from all the reduced beer. Do not let it cook too long or hot or your sauce will burn. I cook up about 2 pounds slice it up and put it in a plate with a little mustard. It will dissappear before your eyes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

be careful using a highly hopped beer in cooking... Cooking will intesify the bitterness and can overwhelm your food. This is one case where cheap beer can have some use.

I have tried the cheaper beers and they just dont have enough body to coat the sausages well. I used to brew beer and I could brew a 5 gallon batch of bud style beer for around 12 bucks. Brewing a micro-brew would cost more like 25 or 30. The cheaper beers use about a third of the malted barely of the micro-brew, so when the water boils off there is not much left to stick to the sausage. This is one of the reasons an ice cold Bud or Coors will hit the spot when you are out mowing the lawn or working in the yard on a hot day. They are a very light beer and they will not fill you up, you can sink them pretty fast. Don't get me wrong they have there place, but it's just not on my sausage. As far as the hops go I will have to agree with you there. I have never been a huge fan of real hoppy beer, but a little bit of hops will go a long way. Once you boil off all that water in the beer, the intense flavor of the hops would be concentrated and very much overpowering. I have had my best luck with Sierra Nevada pale ale. I don't find it overly hoppy, and besides after my sausages get bathed in beer, there is 5 more left behind for me to drink =)

Back