it has begun

How's it going on your end Hal? everything strolling along?
Going great now !! LOL
temps are at 248 and holding on the smoker for over an hour
butt is at 160. im shooting for 5pm to finish and dont mind if its earlier.

since im pulling it, im going to let it go to 195 before wrapping in foil if i need to.

Next time if temps do same thing, i will just shut all vents on the bottom in the beginning.

All 3 have been closed now for about 2.5 hours and the temps are in a better place

Originally posted by Jeff rector:
Hi Everyone

I just realized I've read somewhere about preheating a cooler up for when you let the butt rest.How in the world do you do that.Throw hot water in it or something?

Thanks
Jeff

Yes. Down here I usually just double-wrap the meat in HD foil, stick it a cooler that's usually been sitting out in the sun, cover with a towel or two, then close it up.

Thanks for the replys guys i finally got through the plateau and I'm currently sitting at 183 meat temp with 233 on the cooker.Looks like I got this one beat. Now we get ot see if the boss likes the rub.I loaded it up last night for good absorption .Hopefully not to much.
Hal i hope you finish before the rain gets there we're cachting it up here.luckily My smokers is on a covered deck.Let me know how yours turns out.

See yaa
Jeff

Hal i hope you finish before the rain gets there we're cachting it up here.luckily My smokers is on a covered deck.Let me know how yours turns out.
Jeff
so far so good, im at 165, 6.5 hours in, smoker DOWN to 250. at a plateau for the last 30 minutes. how much longer approx till im finished ???

sounds like yours came out great, i hope to get there after the hot start

Originally posted by Hal V:
how much longer approx till im finished ???

sounds like yours came out great, i hope to get there after the hot start

Hard to say--it'll depend what time you get out of the plateau. Seems like you're doing just fine.

I threw 3 rib racks on at 1pm. Lid was 300 (I was delayed getting them on and the water warmed substantially.) Closed vents. Smoker took an hour to drop to 250, opened two vents 1/3, then we had some rain. I opened the two vents a little more, and the one that had been closed a little, anticipating the rain's effect. I'm holding at 240.

HOt day. 90 degrees. Rain quit though.

well the butt has been put to bed almost 9hrs later I pulled at 193 foiled it. I got to try a little sample that had stuck to the grill I can only say i hope the rest taste this good.I'll try to post pics later on if I can figure out the new camera my wife just bought.
Keep the faith Hal your almost there.

Time to prepare the sides
Jeff

Originally posted by Jeff rector:
I just realized I've read somewhere about preheating a cooler up for when you let the butt rest.How in the world do you do that.Throw hot water in it or something?
Not necessary...I usually just wrap in HD Foil, shut all 4 vents completely and let 'er rest on the cooking grate of the WSM. I've done 5 hours that way, and when I took it off, it was still almost too hot to handle! :-0

butts are at 180deg, smoker at 250
i think/hope im only an hour or so away from pulling my first pork :)

Hey Hal

How'd it turn out? I pulled my after an hour in the cooler and it melted like butter .I now understand why everyone likes to cook butts and use the wsm.I never had to do anything other than adjust the vents a few times. You gotta love this smoker.
Wife now says I need to cook more butts than ribs. I think theres a compliment in there somewhere.She even says I'm aloud to invite company
icon_eek.gif
I hope yours went as good as mine.

Have a great weekend
JEFF

Hey Jeff,

It came out great, no complaints !! I pulled them at 193 after almost 11 hours of smoking. I have never seen meat just fall off like butter before. The pulled pork was excellent for a first attempt but i do think in the future i am going to do overnights when it comes to pulled pork. I really raced against time in the end and i would like one day to be able to let the butt sit on the smoker till it reaches 200.

Thanks to Jeff and Kevin who helped me a great deal today.

Go gators

Back