It can't be this easy.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve M.

TVWBB Fan
The WSM arrived Tuesday (less than 24 hours transit!!) Damaged....Weber customer service was awesome. Replacement parts already on the way. I used the rubber mallet to get it into enough shape to cook on.

Used the "Chicken! Chicken!" recipe, top to bottom. It came up to 250-260 first thing. Held there for the next 4 hours, with no real need to fiddle with it (of course I did, it made me feel better). It looks like the pictures.

If it is this easy now, when it gets "broke in" and I get the ET-73, I am going to have trouble convincing the wife, I'm working hard to cook dinner.

Absolutely awesome. The hints, tips, techniques, and knowledge here have created a wealth of knowledge. I look forward to many more sucesses.

Please...... keep the information coming.

Steve-

I sincerely hope you didn't make the rookie mistake of telling your wife that you did nothing at all!! I mean, that's why you go fiddle with the vents even if you don't need to (or at least pretend like you are!!) Every now and then, look at the temp gauge, get a panicked look on your face and rush out and try really hard to give the impression that you are doing something meaningful. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

That's why I'm glad I started smoking on an offset. My wife still thinks it's a lot of work.... hee-hee!

Congrats on your first cook.

R

To quote the refrain from "Star Wars", "Don't get cocky, kid". I got my WSM about a month ago. My first cook was a 5 lb. butt. An hour after starting, it steadied at 260* grate temp. It was a no-brainer after that. I could have slept the next 8 hours. The second butt I did was sheer terror. I fought the temps the whole time. Maybe I was trying to micro-manage, I'm not sure, but it sure humbled me after the first one. I have done a third one. Much better than the second, but not as easy as the first.

Steve: it's absolutely necessary to drink beer when you smoke. Sometimes smoking also requires a friend (you know, to help hold the lid so you can drink that beer and turn your meat at the same time) Plus, it's just not much fun to drink alone! A clear view of the TV (college football etc.) from the smoker is also mandatory!

Happy smokin!

Steve: Like Charles, most of my cooks have been flawless, butt several required me to hold hands with the WSM to maintain a temp. No rhyme or reason. BBQ Gods unhappy with something in the world I suppose. Still the most entertainment for the money and very educational. I'll bet you never thought you'd know this much about pork, beef, etc. I agree with others...never let on how easy a cook might be. It always requires weeks of pre-planning, contemplation, and preparedness.....while sipping an adult beverage. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

There is one side effect for new WSM owners that is not in the instruction manual. Some of your local Q places will not taste as good as yours.

Pork Eat World
Sonny

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> There is one side effect for new WSM owners that is not in the instruction manual. Some of your local Q places will not taste as good as yours.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I'll second that wholeheartedly!!! Whenever I eat Q at a restaurant now, I find myself judging it as compared to mine. A nice side to that is that my wife tells me whenever we eat ribs and the like..."Your ribs are just as good as these honey." I love her. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
----------------------
Mark WAR EAGLE!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mark Etheridge:
[qb] <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> There is one side effect for new WSM owners that is not in the instruction manual. Some of your local Q places will not taste as good as yours.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I'll second that wholeheartedly!!! Whenever I eat Q at a restaurant now, I find myself judging it as compared to mine. A nice side to that is that my wife tells me whenever we eat ribs and the like..."Your ribs are just as good as these honey." I love her. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
----------------------
Mark WAR EAGLE!! [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>You still have a ways to go to get them perfect, she's supposed to say "your ribs are better than these honey".

Smokin' Jim in NC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back