It arrived!!! - some questions

• Thread starter Thread starter Barry
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Barry

My doorbell rang at 7:30pm and when I opened the door, there it was!!! I can't wait for this weekend, which brings me to my following questions:

1. I have seen many posts about Costco and their baby back ribs. Has anyone bought them, cooked a portion and put the uncooked portion in the freezer? How long will they be good in the freezer?
2. Where in Home Depot can I find the wood chunks? In the lumber section, the bbq section?

Thanks

Hey Barry! The chunks in Home Depot are located where all the grilling accessories are. They have various sized bags. I was only able to find mesquite the other day when I was there, but there were signs for hickory and I guess they were just sold out. I'm told Lowes and Walmart also sell them. Enjoy the new WSM.. I know I will when mine shows up, hopefully before this weekend!

I don't know how things are up north, but down here a lot of the (swimming) pool supply stores carry BBQ items including wood. My local guy has 20lb bags of various flavors.

Barry-

You can certainly freeze the uncooked portion. If you have a vacuum sealer, that would work best. If not, just wrap tightly in plastic wrap, then either in a ziploc freezer bag or freezer wrap, and into the freezer. I would try to cook it within a month or so, but I'm a bit of a freak when it comes to using up meat in the freezer, so you could probably hold it there longer.

Then again, if you cook the whole thing, you may find that there aren't any leftovers anyway....that's what happens at my house! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Rich G.

I have 2 more questions that I hope don't sound that silly:

I saw at Home Depot the Kingsford Match Light charcoal. Is this brand of Kingsford good to get?

This one may sound really silly, but I was in Costco last night and I saw meat labeled Pork Back Ribs. Are these baby back ribs?

Thanks

Kingsford Match Light is not what you want. It is impregnated with a starter fluid. You want the plain old Kingsford.

That's what I thought Rob. Thanks.
Well, now I go wait on the Home Depot return line (arg!!!!!!)

Barry,
The matchlight stuff (although not my preffered) will work fine for grilling, just not for smoking. If you do use it, make sure it is entirely lit and ashed over before you cook over it. I've been to too many people's houses that have cooked over it too soon and the food tasted like lighter fluid.

-Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back