It’s not BBQ, but it sure is good

That looks really good Brett, boiled shrimp is my favorite type of shrimp.

Here is my recipe for cocktail sauce, been making it this way for 30 years:

We’re very close to each other’s sauce recipe. I’ll note mine below.

The shrimps are actually poached. I’ve found that boiling them makes them rubbery.

I make my seasoned brine and then drop the thawed shrimps into the boiled brine and then shut off the heat source, lid and let the shrimp poach in the brine bath for 5 minutes only. Then they’re removed to an iced bowl for chilling and resting form 10 minutes.

Bring 2 quarts water to a boil

Then add:
1/4 cup unbleached sugar
1/4 cup pickling salt
1 Tbs old bay seasoning
And dissolve these ingredients into the boiled water

Then add 2 whole lemons, ends cut off, juiced and place the cut end and lemons into the brine after the brine’s boiled

Add two pounds thawed shrimp (31-40 size) into brine mixture, shut off all heat, lid the pot and let the shrimp poach for 5 minutes exactly.

For the cocktail sauce:
1 Tbs extra hot horseradish
Sprinkle cayenne pepper
10 dashes Tabasco
2 Tbs lemon juice
4 dashes Worcestershire sauce
1/3 cup ketchup or to taste

Mix well and adjust to your liking. We like heat so sometimes we add sriracha to the sauce.

I can vouch for this! I made this cocktail sauce for a gathering a few years ago, and it was a big hit with all the family. Now, like Pat, this recipe is the only reason i have A-1 sauce on hand. 😀

I can vouch for this! I made this cocktail sauce for a gathering a few years ago, and it was a big hit with all the family. Now, like Pat, this recipe is the only reason i have A-1 sauce on hand. 😀
That's great to hear!

Back