Ist cook on the WSM

Don Reed

TVWBB Pro
Today is the maiden voyage of my new toy,decided to do bb's and chicken.I did the noob thing with the water in the pan and about 2/3rds ring of Kford.Started fireing it up around 10:45 had the food on at 11:30. Temps came up pretty fast useing maybe 15 lit briquettes on top the pile and maybe 8 smaller than fist size chunks of hickory. Held temps at 230-235 for the 2 1/2hrs then the temps jumped up to 280 and still hanging there these temps where taken at grate level,the lid was holding at 250 after the spike but until then there was maybe a 5* difference from grate to lid to which I figure is due to 1st the probe is close to the grate edege and was probly catching the heat coming up the drum wall and 2nd because it's new,a little higher then what I wanted for ribs. Bottom vents completely closed. Didn't get pics of the meat going on but will take some when I peak(spritz the ribs) but I did get some of it heating up and after it got going. Will post more later..
100_1888a.jpg

100_1891a.jpg

100_1892a.jpg

When it first strted off it really smoked alot from the door and around the lid but at least the gap at the top of the door allowed me to pass the probe wires though.

Don, can't wait till it's done. I'm hungry, what time is chow on? The leakage will stop once you do a few cooks. That 22 is huge!!!

Welcome to the group, thanks for sharing.

Mark

Lookin' good. I live for these smokes! 8 small chunks sounds like a lot of hickory though. Do you like your food pretty smokey?

Be sure to leave that top vent 100% open all the time. You don't want that creosote!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Matt Sanders:
8 small chunks sounds like a lot of hickory though. Do you like your food pretty smokey?

Be sure to leave that top vent 100% open all the time. You don't want that creosote! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The chunks where really small but almost not small enough.The top vent stayed open the whole cook until I took everything off which was about 5:45 and it's still running at 175 with all vents closed.I'm going to have to put some handles on the charcoal grate so I can pull it out and dump it into my ash can.

The temps stayed a little high,around 185 which as I said I contribute mostly to the unit being new.Everything came off at the same time.The ribs where a little more done than what I would have liked and the 8lb roaster pulled instead of sliceing but all in all I was pleased.Most definately a learning curve here between the CG I used to have and the WSM.This is the first time I've had temps ever go up instead of down after close to 3hrs.I think I'm going to like this cooker and if I wasn't waiting for the rest of the family to get home the food would have came off sooner.Does anyone foil the bottom of the cook chamber or use a pan of some sort to catch the ash and what about getting the water out of the water pan? Now on to the pics.

This was at the 3.5hr point
100_1893aa.jpg

Finshed
100_1896aa.jpg

100_1895aa.jpg

Good looking BBQ there,looks like a job well done! I put foil in the bottom of the WSM to be able to get almost all the ashes out easily,but still wind up turning it upside down and brushing the rest out with a small brush.As for getting the water out of the pan,be careful if you do it when it is hot....i use a pair of leather gloves to handle the pan,i guess i could wait until it cools but i like to get cleanup started quickly.I always wait till the day after a smoke to empty ashes,that way i can be assured they are fully out before i put them where they can pose a hazard.Thanks for posting-i'm sure you will enjoy that smoker as much as i do mine.Richard

Thanks for looking ya'll.
Rich
I couldn't wait until tommarrow so I broke it down,used an old coffe can to bail out most of the water then wearing welders gloves pulled the pan and dumped it,got burned a couple of times doing it,won't happen again.I scooped the ash and unburnt coals out with a shovel from an old fire place set then dumped the rest into a galvanized trash can I bought awhile back for emptying the ash pan in the CG,they should smother out in there, I think I'll find a grate for in the can so I won't have to sift it out or get a bigger can and just set the whole thing down in and let it wedge against the side of the can.

Don,

Looks great! I LOVE the WSM compared to my Chargriller. The CG is a great grill, but the WSM is a much better smoker.

As for cleanup, I dump the water out in the landscaping (probably shouldn't), and throw the foil away. I just pick up the cooking chamber (after it's cold obviously) and dump the ash in the trash, then wire brush it to keep ashy cake from building up.

Back