Is This Heresy?

Dave Wood

TVWBB Fan
My wife and I will be camping in a couple of weeks and our son, girlfriend and app 12 of their friends are coming for dinner. I am going to do a couple of butts, shred and seal, freeze and take with us. Will be served with coleslaw and baked beans. Needless to say paper plates, plastic cutlery and glasses.

Here's the question, does anyone do a big pan full of onions on the BBQ to serve with pulled pork sandwiches, relatively new to this and don't want to make any pulled pork etiquette errors!

Dave, There are no rules. If you want onions on the BBQ by all means put them on. I've been known to put Hellmann's Mayo on BBQ.
icon_biggrin.gif

No right or wrong way to serve up sides with BBQ. Besides, is there anything that doesn't go with pulled pork?
icon_wink.gif
The only thing you may want to do is offer a couple different types of sauces for the sandwiches. Try a mustard sauce, a sweet bbq sauce and a hot vinegar sauce.

Yep, whatever you like. I've done pork sandwiches with pickled onions, pickled shallots, grilled onions, roasted shallots, fresh Vidalia (as well as grilled pineapple salsa, avo mashed with roasted peppers charred Roma tomato slices--dozens of non-traditional topping and sauces).

If there were Q police I'd get (and welcome) a ticket for heretical Q nearly every time I cooked.

Just would recommend serving the onions the side, or have seperate meat without onions to please those who arent fans
icon_smile.gif

Paul R. J.

Originally posted by Ron C.:
Bryan, have you tried Alabama White Sauce?
Not yet funny as that maybe. I put Hellmann's on everything. I have the recipe but always forget to make it. I'm sure if i ever did it would be a favorite of mine.
icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks to all of you who replied and to Jim Minion "I am not worthy" when I saw your reply I ran downstairs ( actually walked slowly at my age) and told her that a legend had responded to my post!!

So onions it is and yes Paul they will be on the side.

What an incredible resource this forum is!!!

Again, thanks to all.

Got so excited about a reply from Jim that I forgot two things, first to Bryan, I just discovered Hellman's a year ago, finally an egg salad sandwich tastes good and secondly to Russ I will be serving a Carolina Gold Mustard Sauce (think I found the recipe here) and my own soon to be world famous BBQ Sauce featuring a little Old Number 7!

Dave, you're not alone...Jim Minion is a legend around here, even to old-timers (old timers as on TVWB, that is, not to mention any BBQ forum out there)!

Back