Is this a wild cherry tree

Sure looks like one. If snap a (live) twig off of it and smell it, it will have a kind of rotten smell to it. The latin name for the tree is Prunus serotina, so that smell is how I remembered the name in plant ID class in college. I have a bunch of them at my golf course.
Good luck,
Keith

I have 1 large tree and 2 smaller trees along a fence row.If it was cherry I was going to trim a few branches off for some smoke wood.

I also have a bunch of oak on my land that needs to be trimmed also.I think I'm going to cut some of that up to for smoke wood also.

father ownes a cherry orchard. It doesn't resemble them but it could be (my farmer knowledge kinda sucks
icon_smile.gif
) a "sucker" or just rather worthless pop ups or whatever you call them that come from the root of others or a type of small cherry like a pie cherry or sour cherry or something. The leaves im absolutely positive it belongs to a cherry. the smell as you were told should be unmistakable if you've been around that before. great pics, those were helpfull. go for it!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Anyone know if this is a wild cherry tree.I probably can get better pictures if needed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
W, It sure does look like one. In the second pic it's hard to really see the bark, but looks like a cherry. If you could get a close up of the bark that's clear, It will be easy to tell for sure.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dan H.:
father ownes a cherry orchard. It doesn't resemble them but it could be </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cultivated cherries are somewhat different. That looks like a black cherry, also known as wild cherry, rum cherry, etc. Prunus serotina, as Keith mentioned. Common all across the eastern U.S.

Solid, dead branches are fine to use.

Back