Is this a tri-tip?

Tim M.

TVWBB Super Fan
Thanks in advance for the info.. I have seen many raves about tri-tip cooks. I've never done one and saw the tequila-lime recipe that looked incredible. I picked this up today is it what I need somehow I don't think so as it has "round" on the label. If not I'll freeze it and throw it in the dutch oven come fall.

"Beef Round Sirloin Tip Roast" on the label.
100_1972.jpg

Doesnt look like the tri tip I cooked today. Round is a different cut. Someone with more knowledge will chime in, but I believe round is either ground into burgers, or used for roasts.

Yes, it's a sirloin tip. It's cut from the round (not the sirloin) and is more accurately known as knuckle; sirloin tip is a marketing term, but common. It makes lovely roast beef. You can smoke-roast it to a low internal, rest, then slice very thinly for hot or cold sandwiches, etc. No need to braise.

Definitely not a tri tip. I dont' know the technicalities, but tri tips are usually 2-3 lbs looking like an oblong triangle (one end is maybe 6 inches going down to a point at the other end, total length of perhaps 8 inches?). You can find them untrimmed and those way a tad more but have an unecessary fat cap.

Back