Is this a No Brainer?

John-NY

TVWBB Pro
I feel like based on the amount of time I spend here I'm literally obligated to purchase this for refurb practice at the very least...

Thoughts?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220712-194529.jpg
    Screenshot_20220712-194529.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 26
I bought this grill new around 2002. It is not only smaller, but also lower than many other models. Mine still works great with no rust or anything. It is a very nice grill.

Keep in mind that the two burners dont bring good returns usually. I would not pay a lot for it.

I recently posted about how good Silver As actually do cook. On that one, I guess I would just caution that if you are looking at it to restore and flip, the upside is probably not there. As Silver As go - at least in my opinion - that model is one of the more plain and "old" looking ones. It's not the $5, it's the time and parts you put into it. For a flip, I would stick with 3-burners or maybe a late Silver A that looks more modern. I think your efforts - and investment - will get a much better yield.

Now if you just want it for yourself, that will make a great little cooker and for practically free, then why not?!!!

I recently posted about how good Silver As actually do cook. On that one, I guess I would just caution that if you are looking at it to restore and flip, the upside is probably not there. As Silver As go - at least in my opinion - that model is one of the more plain and "old" looking ones. It's not the $5, it's the time and parts you put into it. For a flip, I would stick with 3-burners or maybe a late Silver A that looks more modern. I think your efforts - and investment - will get a much better yield.

Now if you just want it for yourself, that will make a great little cooker and for practically free, then why not?!!!
Hmm...interesting insight. My ultimate goal is to slowly but surely refurbish my 1000 Redhead, so I guess I was looking at this as a practice, as far as making all the mistakes on this rather than that.

That being said, I am running out of real estate to store all these, so if I could resell it, that would be great, but I think all I'd want to practice is restoring the frame, hood end caps, cookbox exterior, and steal any cross compatible parts that I can.

But to your other point, I definitely wouldn't be looking to cook on it for myself.

If you don't really want it and you already have a bunch of other grills laying around I would take a pass on it and get started on the grill you really care about. It takes a while to do a 1000 from top to bottom. It's really a series of projects within a project and if you think it out you really won't make any mistakes you can't easily fix.

I feel like based on the amount of time I spend here I'm literally obligated to purchase this for refurb practice at the very least...

Thoughts?
It was a no brainer for me, but I wanted a keeper Silver A. Be careful, your practice might turn into a keeper once you put some time into it. They really are excellent cookers, just as good as my bigger 3 burner. I really enjoyed the whole process of taking it apart and refurbishing it. I replaced flavorizer bars, burner tubes, cooking grates, pull out tray, drip pan and igniter. Over $100. in parts, not including paint, sand paper and other supplies.

If you don't need to buy a lot of parts this may be a good practice grill.IMG_0153.jpgIMG_0118.JPGIMG_0120.JPG

Last edited:
It was a no brainer for me, but I wanted a keeper Silver A. Be careful, your practice might turn into a keeper once you put some time into it. They really are excellent cookers, just as good as my bigger 3 burner. I really enjoyed the whole process of taking it apart and refurbishing it. I replaced flavorizer bars, burner tubes, cooking grates, pull out tray, drip pan and igniter. Over $100. in parts, not including paint, sand paper and other supplies.

If you don't need to buy a lot of parts this may be a good practice grill.View attachment 55092View attachment 55093View attachment 55094
Thanks for the inspiration. My other thought I had was to maybe dress it up and dump it off at my rental property as a "freebee" for my tenant.

Back