Is there such thing as "Cast Stainless Steel?"

One of our members did a fantastic write up/comparison of different SS grill grates and that string is chock-full of good advice and educated opinions. I tried cast iron grates on my Weber Genesis and got about 3 or 4 years of heavy use out of them (lots of cheeseburgers, steaks, and chicken).

Here's a pic I took of the grates before I tossed them in the dumpster. I probably could have gotten more miles out of them if I had kept them a bit cleaner and dryer between cooks. I decided to change them out because the metal was peeling off in places and I didn't feel good about cooking on them anymore.

View attachment 14963

I installed some new grates from Hongso and they fit nicely and seem to be holding up well so far. Here they are doing their job on cheeseburger night. I have a little dish of butter up on the warming rack getting ready to brush onto some buns!

View attachment 14964

I think you did pretty well. The modern porcelain-coated cast iron grates all start peeling as the temperature changes affect the porcelain and cast iron a little differently. I personally like the very old cast iron without the porcelain, but they are getting hard to find and only fit the x000 and Silver/Gold/Platinum grills. With no coating they do rust easier and require more care. But at least you don’t have to worry about eating pealed-off porcelain😳!

Thank you for the kind words about my stainless grate review. My wife was not as impressed and would have been less happy had she realized how many grate sets I bought😲!

Back