Is there such a thing as gloss high heat grill paint?

JimV

TVWBB All-Star
I have seen high heat gloss before that is good up to 2000 degrees but it is made for car engines. Have any of you guys used the gloss for your rebuilds or is the preferred high heat paint the flat......ok...maybe its just a little glossier then flat....but not much.

The Rustoleum Ultra High Heat Black is a semi gloss. It is rated to 1200 and designed for grills and my go to paint for rehabs.
But, you can put any high heat flat on a grill and if you overspray it with high heat clear coat, it becomes gloss.
Here is a Q320 I did with flat Red and then a couple coats of clear.
Q320 Red.JPG

Huh....good tip thanks. That Q looks great. Among the 8 Webers I recently went crazy buying was a Q1200? or 2200? I cant remember. It was in great shape and came with cart and grilling utensils. At the time I had no idea what a Q even was or how much they cost. I paid $25!!!!!!! I did a lil dance once I figured out what I dragged home.

Bruce, the red is nice !
Did you bead last or sandpaper the lid first ? could just spray paint over the existing color or is not a good idea ? does it have to be bare aluminum ?

IMO, you are always better to spray over the old finish if it is still in good shape. If it is cracking or peeling or chipping, then best to remove it first or you will have problems later on. I use an angle grinder and wire cup brush. The picture was painted over the original finish.

Cleaning the old finish first is critical and even a light sanding to roughen it up with 220 or finer paper is a good idea.

I must be missing something here. I used the High Heat tonight....the stuff rated for 1200 degrees.....and it is clearly a flat finish and doesnt have a rich black look to it. Granted it did go on very nice and covered very well....but zero bling bling.....See in my pics comparing one that is painted next to OEM that wasnt painted yet. I would really prefer that it have more of a black satin finish...doesnt have to be shiny but dull ole flat doesnt do anything for me. Now I have a potential problem.....I am not sure I can top coat over this paint with another paint....example the engine paint that is good to 2000 it might be a diff formula and might not play nice with what i already sprayed. Shooooooooooooooooooooooooooot!!!! I just re read Bruce's post......his paint says high heat ULTRA!!!! and right on the damn can it says semi gloss.........man I cant catch a break. I waited in line outside of Home Depot as they let one person in for every one person out.....just to go in and get me some dang high heat...........wasnt smart enough to seek out the ultra.....nor did I see it. Where are you buying your Ultra from Bruce????? I am pretty confident that the Ultra will work as a top coat for my flat crap because they are rated for the same temp...............oh well stay tunes....enjoy some pics of my mistakes as i make plenty of them :( learning though
20200511_192326.jpg20200511_194625.jpg20200511_194741.jpg20200511_194631.jpg

Yes, you can over top the flat with the Ultra semi gloss no problem. Just follow the drying time instructions.

I get it from Menards, Home Depot or Walmart. They all three carry the Rusto High heat paints. I am sure many other hardware and retail stores do as well.

Thanks Bruce........ohhhh the irony. Just pure luck that the Silver B on my deck was painted with ULTRA that I just so happened to have in my garage. So when I was in Home Depot today I thought there was only one high heat...not several options.....so I went ahead with the painting. After going through this process and admitting my mistake......I got out of my chair....put my slippers on....and went out in the garage only to find I still had that dang can of Ultra.......cannot catch a break but will keep fighting until I win!!!
Thanks Bruce
I never said I was the sharpest knife in the drawer..... :)

I must be missing something here. I used the High Heat tonight....the stuff rated for 1200 degrees.....and it is clearly a flat finish and doesnt have a rich black look to it. Granted it did go on very nice and covered very well....but zero bling bling.....See in my pics comparing one that is painted next to OEM that wasnt painted yet. I would really prefer that it have more of a black satin finish...doesnt have to be shiny but dull ole flat doesnt do anything for me. Now I have a potential problem.....I am not sure I can top coat over this paint with another paint....example the engine paint that is good to 2000 it might be a diff formula and might not play nice with what i already sprayed. Shooooooooooooooooooooooooooot!!!! I just re read Bruce's post......his paint says high heat ULTRA!!!! and right on the damn can it says semi gloss.........man I cant catch a break. I waited in line outside of Home Depot as they let one person in for every one person out.....just to go in and get me some dang high heat...........wasnt smart enough to seek out the ultra.....nor did I see it. Where are you buying your Ultra from Bruce????? I am pretty confident that the Ultra will work as a top coat for my flat crap because they are rated for the same temp...............oh well stay tunes....enjoy some pics of my mistakes as i make plenty of them :( learning though
View attachment 4606View attachment 4607View attachment 4608View attachment 4609
i did the same thing on a spirit i am rebuilding i had both the ultra and just hi temp now i know ultra is king

On my rehabs I do the cook box bottom in the flat and use the Utra Semi Gloss on the lid end caps and the frame around where it is in close proximity to the cook box. I use Rustoelum 2x gloss black on the rest of the frame

20200420 Genesis 1000 Skyline (3).JPG

Wowza that looks sharp! You set the bar high my friend. I have failed twice now on doing frame touch ups....cant catch a break.... The first time I sprayed high temp thinking it was gloss and hit about 4 spots....woops it was the flat. The second time I wiped everything down with 99% rubbing alcohol and the paint kind of beaded up??? Im like what the hell......So maybe I should have toweled off the frame after the alcohol maybe somehow it didnt dry which seems impossible to me. So I will be going in for the 3rd time this evening......will rough up the surface with 0000 steel wool and no alcohol then try again. Have you ever had this issue of the paint not playing nice with the frame?

Some times I get what looks like little rain drops in the paint. I think it is a problem with the paint/can. I have found that a second or third coat will cover it up.

You might try a solvent like Xylene next time if you think the rubbing alcohol had something to do with it.

Ya its usually something I have over looked like maybe I cleaned the frame with a rag soaked in wd 40 originally......or the rag I was using was used to remove or buff wax from my car......but 3rd time is a charm. This grill just doesnt realize that I am not gunna give up!

Jim, something else to consider is if you recently cleaned up the frame with water or left it out in the rain recently, water gets inside. When you start moving it around, the water leaks out onto the outside of the frame.

Good luck with the repaint.

yep....and I also sprayed ant spray into the tubes to prevent future bugs and such from living in there........I will get it right tonight......shes gunna be a beauty I tell ya

Back