Is the smoke ring necessary for good barbeque??

ScottE

Closed Account
Read a post where a bro's briskie cooked real fast and he was wondering why he didn't have a smoke ring.

Now I have had grub with and without smoke rings and I had no problems eatin and enjoyin both kinds??

Outside of the circuit..talking strictly backyard....is not having a smoke ring a deal breaker??

Whatdayall think??

IMO, schmoke rings and grill marks are nice to look at, but the food tastes the same with or without.:wsm:

Tim

Smoke ring is an indication of a smoke generated reaction, not and indication of cooking per se. But you can send any non-ring products to me if you like. ;)

Rich

Competition or backyard, doesn't matter. Smoke ring is nice to look at and that's about it. I've had Q that was drop-dead wonderful with no ring at all, and I've had spit-worthy (sometimes referred to as 'dog butt') Q with a huge smoke ring.

Russ

You got me thinking now Russ. In comps is the smoke-ring a important part when scoring for appearance??

Not to me. Smoke rings can be artificially generated using TQ, so I really don't care if one is there or not. Ask judges that have been around for a while if a smoke ring is a big deal to them, and I'll wager that the vast majority of them couldn't care less about it.

It's always the brand new judges that get all excited about it.

Russ

IMO no meed for a smoke ring. Just let me taste it and then I will tell you if it is good. On the web a while ago, I saw a "smoke ring" that was done with some red kool aid. Looked nice. Don't know how the brisket tasted though. I think it looks nice, but do not score it when judging a comp. I have heard of some judges that do. Regards.

I don't think a smoke ring is necessary for good barbecue, but all of my successful cooks have produced one.

KCBS judging rules explicitly direct judges to ignore the smoke ring when judging since it can be artificially produced.

I agree with Lew--all my best bbq has had some smoke ring on the exposed sides.

I think unless your doing most of the cooking in the oven or foil or using no rub at all you should get some smoke ring. And there are so many other ways to screw up BBQ by overcooking it, bad sauce, over smoking it etc that the smoke ring doesn't guarantee good taste.

Put perfect backyard bbq in my opinion has to have a smoke ring to show you did it the hard way. :)

Back