Is lump really better?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I guess I'll just have to try it myself but curious what peopel think. I hope it's not better since Kingsford at 23c a pound is pretty sweet.

Jason
I use Real Flavor lump from Wal Mart in my kettle and like it real well. However it does not seem to burn as long as Kingsford briquettes do. I know you are a gas griller so I'm assuming you are going to use the lump in the WSM. I'm wondering how much fire tending you would have to do for a long smoke. I know I go through a bag of lump a lot quicker than a bag of Kingsford.

Bob

J-

I almost exclusively use Kingsford in my WSM. I really like the consistency that I get, and I just don't have a problem with ash buildup that a lot of people talk about. I have also never noticed any off flavors or aromas from using Kingsford (yes, I use the MM, so I have meat in with charcoal that isn't ashed over.) Also, I use lump exclusively in my ceramic grill/smoker, and I do not notice any flavor differences between meats smoked over lump vs kingsford (I use the lump in my ceramic because it is easier to control the variances in temp that lump tends to have due to differences in size/shape, etc.)

Having said all that, you should give it a try anyway to see if YOU have a preference. I try almost every new idea once, and sometimes twice!

HTH,
Rich G.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back