Is it safe to cook on a Weber replacement charcoal grate?

I wanted to use Meathead's "afterburner" method of searing a steak on top of a chimney starter. I bought an 18" Weber replacement charcoal grate earlier today. It had an oily film on it. After I was on the way home I began to question whether the material in the grate was safe to cook on. I assume it is but thought I would ask the group for advice. Thanks.

It's made out if raw steel, so the oil is to keep it from rusting in the store.
Wash it off with a good degreaser than burn off any residue before you use it. Wiping it down with veg oil will help season it from rusting.

Tim

I don't think the charcoal grate is designed to cook on. I mean,there s a cooking grate and a charcoal grate.

I don't think the charcoal grate is designed to cook on.
No, it wasn't designed for that task. Just like searing a steak on top of the chimney wasn't in the design either.
IMO --- as long as it's new, cleaned/burned the oil off, I'd have no issues using one for that task.
Cooking grate for a smokey joe would also be ideal. :D

It's made out if raw steel, so the oil is to keep it from rusting in the store.
Wash it off with a good degreaser than burn off any residue before you use it. Wiping it down with veg oil will help season it from rusting.

Tim

If you think about it, the middle cooking grate for the 18.5" WSM is a re-purposed charcoal grate from the 22.5" kettle, but it's nickel plated.
In this "afterburner" set-up the plating can in time burn off and you are just left with bare steel.

Tim

you can cook on raw steel . course you want to wash it the first time. and you want to oil it up like any grate you use.
go for it.

I like the Charcoal grate better than the cooking as the Charcoal grate is thicker steel and if maintained oil, will last a lot longer... I've seen too many rusting cooking grates..

Back