Is it possible to smoke a corned beef?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I was at the grocery today and almost bought a corned beef for the smoker but I'm not sure how it would do. Anyone try it before?

Tom-

I have done one. It came out way too salty (my fault.) You need to soak it in cold water, replacing the water several times over roughly a day or so. I smoked mine at about 240, and can't remember now how long it took to get to 180'ish. The flavor (looking past the salt) was very good. Kind of a cross between corned beef and pastrami (I peppered the outside.) I'd like to do another, but my next attempt will be a truer pastrami starting with a fresh brisket flat that I will cure myself, no corning.

This link to Chris' article on making pastrami should give you some ideas on temp/time:

Chris A on Pastrami

Cheers,
Rich G.

Tom...

Smoked corned beef is pastrami..sort of. Pastrami has a slighty different mix of spices and is cured and smoked.

I make it all the time by buying the corned beef at the supermarket. Throw the seasoning packet away, soak it for a couple of hours, apply your pastrami rub and then smoke like a brisket flat. I choose to cook mine to a much higher temp than many. I take it all the way to 180-190? or so.

Here is a favorite recipe from RandyQ....

Pastrami

2 tablespoon(s) Peppercorns
1/2 tablespoon Coriander seeds
1/2 tablespoon Onion powder
1 teaspoon Thyme, dried
1 teaspoon Paprika
1 teaspoon Garlic powder

PREPARATION:
Soak corned brisket for 2 hours changing water twice.
Grind peppercorns and coriander seeds. Add remaining ingredients.
Rub this on the corned beef brisket.
Wrap and let sit overnight.
Slow cook brisket at 275?(uncovered) for about 1 1/2hr./lb.
Meat temps need to be near 185? or above.

THANKS guys! I'll try it this weekend! /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back