Is GBS Compatible With Sear Station BBQs and Non-GBS Accessories?

MattLaw

I thought my requirement for a good hot sear barbecue using a griddle or plancha grill was going to be easily met by a Genesis II 335 or 435 model. These BBQs seem really good! I'm posting this because I have concluded that things aren't as straightforward as I expected they would be and I haven't been able to get a straight answer from suppliers, thus far. I'd like clarity before I pay out cash for a system that isn't quite right for my needs.

The 335/435 grills have a Sear Station on the right hand side of the grill. But, the round cut-out of the GBS grill does not appear to be directly over the Sear Station burners. It seems as if the GBS grill system has been introduced to facilitate sales of the various, no doubt, useful inserts, without reference to the alignment of the cut-out relative to the burners. Is that correct, or can someone put me straight on how the GBS grill and Sear Station are meant to align/interact? If there is anything published online to explain then please do point it out.

Second, I was very much hoping to use the deluxe plancha (Part #7665), which is apparently designed for the Genesis II models. I want to use the plancha instead of a GBS griddle insert because it is sloped and has a fat drain hole (and I wanted to insert it above the Sear Station for extra heat). Healthy searing, right? The description of the plancha says "The Deluxe Plancha replaces one cooking grate in your Genesis II gas barbecue". However, this only seems to apply to models that do not have the GBS grill, given they come in three parts and removing one grill surely also means removing the round insert, leaving a semicircular gap. Bear in mind that all Genesis II grills now come with GBS grills as standard, am I right to think this plancha (and griddles and other standard 'rectangular' inserts) are no longer compatible with Genesis II models? Again, I'd be grateful if you could put me straight on this and, if possible, point out anything online that explains the position.

Very happy to be wrong, and hoping to be educated :)

Matt,
I am no expert in the new Webers as I am a fan of the classic older ones made in the USA. However, I can tell you that I have had the same frustration about why Weber put the GBS piece in the middle rather than centering over the side with the extra sear burner. Last fall, I had the wonderful opportunity to go to Germany and while there my co-worker indulged my dream to go to a Weber company store there.

IMG_2626.jpeg

The European Weber retailers get to offer a number of items not available in the US. I was especially impressed when I looked inside the Genesis II they had on display. It featured a sear burner, and look at that grate set up:

IMG_2640.jpeg

So, I guess maybe you could try to source from Germany??? The other possibility might be to cut a section off on the right grate and put that short piece over to the left to shift the GBS section over the sear burner.

I don't know anything about the griddle setup. You may have to figure that you will have one set of grates for the regular grilling function and another for when you use the griddle. Hopefully, you can find some better answers.

Thanks, Jon. Great pics, really helpful. That's not what's shown on the Weber web site for the UK - that shows a central insert too. Seems to demonstrate that the GBS grill isn't compatible with the older, rectangular griddles/planchas. Not keen on cutting things, and so have put a query into Weber to see if we can source old-style grills that can accommodate them. Thanks again!!

Back