Is a small brisket ok?

I'm having trouble finding briskets that are more than a few lbs. The meat section only had briskets that were about 1.5lbs. Do these cook in the WSM ok?
They had name brand brined or seasoned briskets that were around 5lbs. Are the brined cuts ok to bbq? Were do I find larger cuts in the Sacramento area? Do I need to go to a butcher?

I would try to find a butcher..they will have something much larger, though I am prety sure Walmarts across the nation have "select" packers, and some people report they have choice. I myself found a buthcer, and get all my meat from there.

definitely need something bigger than 1.5 pounds to bbq brisket well. The only thing a brisket that small would be good for is braising.

As for brined, I've never heard of brined brisket. I'd steer clear of that by a mile too.

If you have a costco nearby, you'll be able to find brisket flats - usually around 5-8 pounds. But I don't find costco to be much of a bargain. With some probing, you can probably coax your supermarket's meat guys to get you a whole brisket flat. Probably won't be able to get them to get you a whole packer (point and flat intact), but you can try. Try asking the meat guys in the morning, who are usually the managers.

Good luck.

The 1.5 pounder is probably just the flat. I haven't done one, but many people have success with them. They usually are trimmed more than would be ideal for Q.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by David Lohrentz:
The 1.5 pounder is probably just the flat... </div></BLOCKQUOTE> That's actually going to be just a small portion of just the flat. A full flat weighs on average between 5-8 pounds. A full brisket (flat and point) you are around 8-13 pounds. With a flat that small, it's really really hard to cook it to tender without it severely drying out. Just my experience at least.

JW... remember you can never go wrong trusting a dodger fan.
icon_smile.gif

Back