Is a Butcher better than the Supermarket?

I haven't bought ground beef there but when I want a great steak I go to my butcher . It's worth every penny . I'll never by steaks at the supermarket again .

I would think the biggest benefit is freshness. A butcher can cut or grind and have it on the shelf in 1/2 hr, where the big stores get it from a warehouse on a tractor trailer and it is two days old when you get it.

Yes, it's better. It might be more expensive, but there is a reason for that.

Give it a try. Buy your favorite steak cut at the supermarket, then buy the same from the local butcher. Same cut, same thickness. Season both the same and grill them side by side...keeping track which is which of course. And then have a taste test.

Most supermarkets don't cut their steaks thick enough for the grill. At least not the ones around my house. And the cuts are haggard and unevenly-sized. No bueno if you're cooking up more than one at a time.

I still haven't found my butcher, but I've pretty much sworn off supermarket steaks.

most of the supermarkets around here (SLC, UT) will cut steaks to your specs, even when they're on sale, at least if you get to the butcher before they're done cutting. They'll also grind roasts into hamburger or slice roasts for jerky at no additional charge, they just put the price tag under the celophane of your customized meat. I've even asked if they'd debone a turkey breast & they said yes.

It is going to come from the butcher, If I am taking the time to smoke it, and It has never disappointed abody that has eaten it. It is worth a few extra cents.

Butcher is not necessarily better. Depends on quality of the butcher and meat he sells. You need to find out what grade of beef he sells. Is he selling the same, better or lesser grade of beef you buy a grocery? I've been in butcher shops and asked what grade of beef they sold and they said "it's the best there is". I asked whether it was USDA Choice or Select and they looked at me like a deer in headlights. These guys obviously weren't the head the butcher and didn't know what I was asking. I saw a whole ribeye in the meat case and there was no USDA grade marked on the cryo-plastic. I passed.

If a butcher sold as good or better grade, I would buy from him instead of a mega chain if for no other reason to support a local businessman.

Chris,
Sadly, around here, there are no "Mom & Dad" butcher shops, only supermarkets.

However, I always try to find one or two older guys behind the counter and make friends with them, maybe even take them a couple of bones from the ribs I cooked last night.

They're much more inclined to be honest and helpful when you're on a first name basis.

It definitely depends on the butcher, but overall I would say butcher is better.

I have had a couple issues with a few butchers and what I expect out of them.

If I am going to be paying more for the meat, I want fresh, quality, customized, and good customer service. If a butcher is reluctant to talk to you or get you what you want, I'd go elsewhere. Of course, if there is a 10 deep line at the counter then it's understandable he is busy.

To find my current, and favorite so far, butcher, I called the place and ask to speak to the owner. Explained to him what I was looking for and he was great. He offered for me to come by and the end of the day while they were cleaning, so I could see his whole operation and meat the different employees. He was honest about what he carries because that's what sells, so everything can be fresh. He will still get me any cut of any meat if I buy a certain amount.

I now give him as much business as possible, because he is a small family owned business. I of course would rather my money go there.

Sorry for rambling, but as butcher shops continue to disappear, we really should support the good ones so we aren't stuck with supermarkets only, like Charles.

In some cases, the difference in price is not that substantial. I recently bought a flat at a local butcher (voted one of the best in the state) and it was only 15 cents/lb. more than at the supermarket(Shoprite).

Originally posted by JSMcdowell:
see his whole operation and meat the different employees.
I guess you can't call it a Freudian slip, but perhaps a Foodian slip?
icon_smile.gif

Is choice beef from a butcher going to taste different than the choice beef they sell at Costco?

Another thing: Do you guys prefer grass fed beef over grain (corn) fed?

I buy all my meat from HEB, and i will put them up against any butcher shop, they are that good. HEB has butchers all day long and will cut what ever you want the way you want it.

I'm a grass fed, grass finished man myself. Cattle were not meant to eat large amounts of corn. It makes them sick and causes bloat which will kill a cow quick.

An interesting read on the topic of steak is a book simply titled "STEAK".

And I don't buy choice. I buy prime which you have to either go to a butcher or to a store such as Whole Foods (who have their own butchers) to get.

Originally posted by Noe:
I buy all my meat from HEB, and i will put them up against any butcher shop, they are that good. HEB has butchers all day long and will cut what ever you want the way you want it.

What is HEB?

Brett

I really didn't mean to type meat
icon_smile.gif

HEB is a grocery chain in Texas. Not sure if it's limited to Texas, but that is only where I have seen them. Great place, wish we had them in GA.

Back