Introducing Ramp Mode in a snapshot near you

I've only used it once, and it's a hard one to test because it is for long cooks. But looking back at the graph you are right.... When I pulled the meat probe it must have dropped down on the grill because it did rise up above 200F (done temp) and that is when the pit temp changed to 200F. So, no bug, just user error/confusion...
I may try ramp mode with some chicken so I can test it out on a shorter cook.... I think it's great new feature....
How 'bout the PID Auto-Tune, is that heading for a snap shot near me anytime soon?

I would love to test it with my brisket tonight. But does it use the temperature in Celsius or Fahrenheit? When I punch in 88C, the "C" isnt removed after applying the settings, as at the pit temperature setting. I dont want to ruin my meat.

You can use F or C, you just need to make sure you use F or C for all your alarm numbers and anything else.

Steve is right, all the settings support both temperature units, but they do it "implicitly". ONLY enter numeric values in every setting (no units). Then switch the HeaterMeter itself over to whatever units you want by setting the setpoint with units included. This must only be done once and then all temperature values going forward are expected to be in those units.

The way to think about it is that all the alarms, etc are actually just comparing numbers with no units and you just need HeaterMeter to output values that are already in those units. The alarm and ramp code WILL NOT do unit conversion if the HeaterMeter is in one units and your alarms are set in another.

A big question on my mind is if this will actually work. If you ramp down the temperature, there's a chance that the food will never reach the target temperature, or that it will reach the target temperature somewhere in 2018

I just wanted to report from 2018, that the food is finally done!

:p

( I stumbled on this thread while reading up on how ramp mode works, thought that your comment about 2018 was worth a check-in)

Haha, you're the greatest, Mike. I've never had a ramp mode reach completion in practice. It works as advertised, but when it gets down to where the pit is hovering just below 210F and the meat is sitting at 200F, it goes so slowly that it just sort of holds. I guess that means it is working perfectly!

I think the secret is to set the ramp target 5-10 degrees above what you want, depending on how far away 2018 is from now :)

Back