Introducing me!

MSBoersma

I am Marten, 40+ years old and I live in Friesland (the Netherlands)

For about 11 years I have been outside quite often with my Webers. My family happily accepts it.

Real BBQ was not known in the Netherlands more than 10 years ago. Back then and now, BBQ in the Netherlands means grilling burgers and thin sticks of satay over a far too high heat, resulting in a lot of burnt food that is still raw inside. I just hated it.

The real bbq "Virus", cooking with the lid closed, started when an old neighbor showed me the principle of indirect grilling on his old Weber. I couldn't believe that a complete BCC from an 18 inch Weber kettle could be done.

I own a SJ Silver, Go Anywhere, OT Silver 18 inch, Master Touch and an Summit Char.

I have already looked at this forum a few times and recognize all the enthusiasm!

As soon as I have mastered the posting of photos, I will certainly also post something.

Greetings Marten S Boersma

Welcome, Marten! What is your favorite meal to cook on your Webers?

Rich
Thanks Rich! I like to do baby backs but most of the time I cook chicken! Cheap fast and easy! I read a lot about the Vortex here now. Interesting .. Does it really make your wings that much better?

Welcome Marten lots of BBQ knowledge on this site , my dad was with the Canadian Armed Forces in Holland during WW11 and he came back to Holland for the 50th anniversary of WW11 and he was treated like a king, you Dutch people never forget.

Last edited:
Thanks Rich! I like to do baby backs but most of the time I cook chicken! Cheap fast and easy! I read a lot about the Vortex here now. Interesting .. Does it really make your wings that much better?
Marten, cheap/fast/good chicken is a favorite here, too! I prefer spares to baby backs, but they are both great!

I have never used a Vortex, but from all the posts I've seen from users here, it sure seems to help deliver even, high heat throughout the kettle for that great, crisp skin on wings, thighs, legs, etc.

I don't know anything about dutch cuisine, but it would be fun to see you adapt some traditional dishes to the grill! :)

R

PS: Posting photos here is easy. Just copy/paste, or drag/drop into the body of your post.

Marten,
Welcome, I love your line "11 years I have been outside quite often with my Webers. My family happily accepts it." My wife literally said something close to that tonight while I was out cleaning up after two cooks today.
As for the vortex, I am a believer! It makes the crispiest, juiciest, skin on, bone in chicken pieces! Wings, legs, thighs, and thigh/legs quarters have all be amazing in my experience!
I look forward to seeing your cooks in the photo gallery forum.

Marten, the Vortex is a great tool! It will absolutely change your wing game as well as most high heat cooks! I have the medium for the 22” and am thinking I deserve a small one for the 18.5” there are times when I don’t need the bigger space, wait, what did I just say? I must need more sleep! Or something.
Welcome to a fun site!

Welcome Marten lots of BBQ knowledge on this site , my dad was with the Canadian Armed Forces in Holland during WW11 and he came back to Holland for the 50th anniversary of WW11 and he was treated like a king, you Dutch people never forget.
Thank you Bill, i hope my english is good enough to tell you that my grandmother who went through the war once told us that the Dutch are very grateful to the Canadians for their commitment to our liberation! 🙏

Marten, cheap/fast/good chicken is a favorite here, too! I prefer spares to baby backs, but they are both great!

I have never used a Vortex, but from all the posts I've seen from users here, it sure seems to help deliver even, high heat throughout the kettle for that great, crisp skin on wings, thighs, legs, etc.

I don't know anything about dutch cuisine, but it would be fun to see you adapt some traditional dishes to the grill! :)

R

PS: Posting photos here is easy. Just copy/paste, or drag/drop into the body of your post.
Hello Rich G Our butchers don't actually have spares. You want to be happy when you find the baby back at a local butcher. I think I have to specifically ask for it. It is said that there is not really Dutch cuisine. We "borrow" ingredients from other countries. Dutch snacks are unique, maybe I'll just make a Dutch snack and add a BBQ twist to it. Let me think about it.

Marten, the Vortex is a great tool! It will absolutely change your wing game as well as most high heat cooks! I have the medium for the 22” and am thinking I deserve a small one for the 18.5” there are times when I don’t need the bigger space, wait, what did I just say? I must need more sleep! Or something.
Welcome to a fun site!
Haha, you make me laugh. I'm now looking for a vortex! Thank you for your response

Marten,
Welcome, I love your line "11 years I have been outside quite often with my Webers. My family happily accepts it." My wife literally said something close to that tonight while I was out cleaning up after two cooks today.
As for the vortex, I am a believer! It makes the crispiest, juiciest, skin on, bone in chicken pieces! Wings, legs, thighs, and thigh/legs quarters have all be amazing in my experience!
I look forward to seeing your cooks in the photo gallery forum.
Now in must have a Vortex! Thanks voor your comment

Back