internet meat sources

Nate L

TVWBB Member
I've been interested in the recent discussion of wagyu beef and thought I'd generalize the question, since none of the threads that I've found directly address my questin. There are no consistently available sources of high-quality (prime, heritage, wagyu) farm-raised pork or beef near me. I have worked with local farmers to get meat, especially pork, but the availability depends on when they're butchering, etc. And whole briskets are almost impossible to find, in any grade. In the past I have used Lobel's on occasion (for veal shanks, roasts), and they have been reliable but *very* expensive. Following the recent threads, I have been looking at Snake River and Paradise, and have heard only positive things about each. And they are much less expensive than Lobels, though according to their websites they may sometimes freeze their meat. The websites of Lobels, SR, and Paradise are fascinatingly different, apparently catering (as it were) to different kinds of customers. (I have no idea how their quality compares.) My main question is whether there is any kind of consensus out here about the go-to mail-order source. Is one considered the most reliable, the best? Do the competition people favor one of these sites? Has anyone had bad experiences, or consistently good experiences? Has anyone tried more than one and can compare? I understand that there is disagreement about the *value* of wagyu or heritage meat, but I'm really more interested in the quality of these sources from those who have repeatedly used them.
As always, this is a great forum. Thanks!

I have used all the vendors you note many times. I most often buy from Snake River. The price/value equation works for me. I cook fairly high-end food for fairly (or very) wealthy clients all over the country. All I have gotten from each has been just fine, but i gravitate to SR because I can get the cuts I want - in the quantities I need (sometimes several cases) - without issue.

Freezing is immaterial if the freezing is done correctly (blast chillers, e.g.), and if the cook knows what he or she is doing.

If you plan to buy in bulk, SR is the way to go, imo.

Thank you, Kevin. That's *exactly* what I wanted to know. I've read your posts and know that you know your stuff. Very helpful.
NL
PS: to anyone: I've been a member for going on two years. When do I stop being a "new member"? I don't really mind the term, just wondering. Is there some initiation ritual that I have to pass?

I had the pleasure(read luxury) of having a filet mignon at Bohanan's Steak house in San Antonio. It was an Akaushi beef tenderloin. It was heaven. I have never had a steak that cut under the edge of a fork before. And apparently there is only one ranch in the U.S. that can breed the Akaushi beef cattle. I have never ordered anything from them yet, but I will this coming summer. http://www.heartbrandbeef.com/?page=shop/index

Back