Interior rust treatment

I was actually hoping to keep it if the firebox was able to be usable. Shame they don't have replacements for them anymore... <SMH>

I am aware of the issue with the flavourizer bars, and the replacement cost. I wouldn't care if I were to keep it.

The plan was to replace the 06 Genesis silverB with this one. But seeing the poor design of the firebox in person, I'm not sure that I want to give up my perfectly functioning, and pretty much unkillable genesis for the poorly designed firebox of the Summit, especially since I can't replace the firebox...

Not to be contrarian, but while I totally agree that your Genesis is a better designed and more rugged grill, I wouldn’t throw in the towel on that Summit. It really doesn’t look that terrible to me. I could be wrong, but even flavorizer bars don’t look like a total loss, assuming those horizontal bars are ok. The one picture obscured them, but I see them in your first picture. Those flat porcelain plated panels would be relatively easy to reinforce with flat stainless steel you could get from a sheet metal shop. I love Genesis grills but also like this Summit and the one before it - NOT the bloated beast they sell now. I think you should give it a good try and see how you like cooking on it before giving up altogether.

Not to be contrarian, but while I totally agree that your Genesis is a better designed and more rugged grill, I wouldn’t throw in the towel on that Summit. It really doesn’t look that terrible to me. I could be wrong, but even flavorizer bars don’t look like a total loss, assuming those horizontal bars are ok. The one picture obscured them, but I see them in your first picture. Those flat porcelain plated panels would be relatively easy to reinforce with flat stainless steel you could get from a sheet metal shop. I love Genesis grills but also like this Summit and the one before it - NOT the bloated beast they sell now. I think you should give it a good try and see how you like cooking on it before giving up altogether.
The bars are completely separated from the connection pieces. That 1st picture was before I started cleaning them up, and they pretty much fell apart as they were rotten. I ripped off the rest as they were pretty much useless, a danger to handle, and made it easier to sand off the rust.

Option 1: get a cheap bar bent and quickly tack weld it locally to extend their life.
Option 2: get a stock set on Ebay for 100usd plus shipping.
Option 3: get a set from RCplanebuyer, but that would only be if I were to keep this long term...

I do have to spend about 60usd to convert it to LP before I can try it out.

I can't believe you can find the actual correct ones on FleaBay for $100. That's stealing LOL. On my brother's 4 burner version they were $250! From a known good supplier of OEM equipment many on here use

I would be cautious, even skeptical, but the ad says they are OEM Weber parts. The seller has an excellent rating. I would think if they turned out to be junk you could cancel, send back and get your money back. Seems like a pretty good price for these complicated flavorizer bars. 1st and 2nd generation Summits have some truly great aspects but also some very costly, difficult problems. You have to really want one to put up with it all in a restoration.

I received a message back specifically confirming that they are Weber originals:

New message from: parmadeals (78,448PurpleShooting Star)

Yes they are originals​

Your previous message​
Are you sure these are original Weber flavorizer bars rather than a knockoff brand?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Jon Tofte

WEBER SUMMIT PLATINUM SUMMIT SILVE
Watchers: 6
Quantity Remaining: 6​

Get to know the seller parmadeals

Located: Maple Heights, OH, United States
Positive Feedback: 99.9%

I would love to know how they could get them so cheap, sell them so damn cheap and make a profit

Back