Interesting video

LMichaels

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
So an interesting video. Though I do believe he was in error as I bought the same grates for my 320 and the 300 I gave to daughter's boyfriend. They were porcelainized. So not sure if it's luck of the draw on that or what

I am not too sure that the Qlimetal grates really are RAW cast iron vs. a rough-textured porcelain coating. Even so, I like even that better than the shiny porcelain coating on the Weber grates that ALWAYS chips off. I have sets and sets of cast iron grates of different sizes from Weber with this same issue. I keep thinking that someday I will grind all the coating off and try to recycle a few sets, but I never have time. It would be a labor-intensive struggle probably not worth the investment of energy and time.

EDIT:

The Amazon description for the Qlimetal grates calls it "matte cast iron."

So an interesting video. Though I do believe he was in error as I bought the same grates for my 320 and the 300 I gave to daughter's boyfriend. They were porcelainized. So not sure if it's luck of the draw on that or what
If they are indeed cast iron, you wouldn't want to season them with olive oil as he recommends, as the smoke point is way too low. I would use a spray can of canola oil, much easier in getting into the grooves of the grates instead of trying to wipe on with a paper towel. Just my opinion.

Back