Interesting/informative Cookbooks

Robert McGinley

TVWBB Member
I enjoy Cook Books that give history or back ground of this art (BBQ). I also like when books include how other cultures use the Q. I just recently read where Henry Ford is the father of the charcoal briquette. I would like to find a book that explain seasonings and how to put them together to create the best balance. I've heard where some seasonings are best applied after cooking rather then before. This is the info I would like to find. If anyone one has any good suggestions....

Robert - I just purchased The Great American Meat Book by Merle Ellis cheap on Amazon. I have owned his Cutting Up in the Kitchen for decades and use it as my butchering reference. The Meat Book has all sorts of sidebars and factoids on all things meat. A real bonus.

Jim

Steven Raichlen's "Barbeque Bible" is one I would recommend. He traveled the world for 3 years to write it and gets in a lot of detail about local bbq cultures. Good fun, and more than a few good recipe ideas!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I would like to find a book that explain seasonings and how to put them together to create the best balance. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
If there is a book out there that does this I've never come across it. 'Balance' in this case is somewhat subjective though a good writer could certainly explain his/her views of what's involved.

There are some spices and herbs that are better added toward the end of cooking--not really applied after as doing so often makes them stand out too much and feel added on rather than incorporated; some become overwhelming if added early; some cannot take long cooking without becoming bitter or 'off'.

I don't know if how advanced you are in skills. But Dr. BBQ "Big Time BBQ Cookbook" is gold for stories and different styles through out the country. I purchased mine on Amazon.

If you would like to have possesion of the book for awhile before purchaseing. Go to your local library and do a online check. I have seen all the books recommended by useing the library system thus saveing me a whole lotta money.

Thanks for the responses! I will look for those books. As for how to successfully use spices I guess I will just need to wait for Kevin to write a book about them.
icon_wink.gif

I treated myself to several books a while back, and have enjoyed them immensely. I don't know if any are firectly n the topic you're interesated in, but they all come really full of "extra" information about Q'ing, compteitions, handling meat, and so on. this in addition to good recipes.

Hear they are in no special order.

Mills, M. and Tunnicliffe, A. M.: 2005, Peace, Love & Barbecue: Recipes, Secrets, Tall Tales, and Outright Lies from the Legends of Barbecue Rodale, Emmaus, PA.

Shewchuk , R.: 2004, Barbecue Secrets: Unbeatable Recipes, Tips and Tricks from a Barbecue Champion . Whitecap Books, Vancouver, BC.

Shewchuk , R.: 2004, Barbecue Secrets: Unbeatable Recipes, Tips and Tricks from a Barbecue Champion . Whitecap Books, Vancouver, BC.

Cheers,
Canada Mike

Back