interesting cook

George Curtis

TVWBB Olympian
so i decided to cook some burgers on the q220. i rarely do this. got it hot and put 9 burgers on. cooked 3 minutes, opened the lid and
icon_eek.gif
, the grill is on fire. well i turn the burgers over, lower the flame and close the lid. check 1 minute later and i still got fuego ! so i get the burgers off and close the lid. 1 minute later and its still on fire. so i blow and blow and blow and you get the idea, untill it finally goes out. shoot, i know i didn't have much oil/grease on the lower part. i guess the burgers had to much grease and with the lid down it was just to much. its kinda the pits also that you can't put out a fire by closing the lid. i guess i need to cook the burgers with the lid up. any thoughts ?

I don't think I can help prevent the flare ups George, but I think the reason the flames didn't go out with the lid closed was due to the gaps on each side (of the lid) where the side tables fold in. Those 2big holes let more then enough air in to keep the fire going. I have thought about trying to fond something to cover the hes with while the grill is in use, as I find they really do let a lot of wind blow into the grill.
Tim

yea, i know that's why plus the big drain hole at the bottom. the side gaps do present a problem with a light breeze or wind. i ran into that problem over a year ago. i cut a piece of cardboard to fit between the table and the grill and it made a huge differance. for sure i gotta figure out a safe way to extinguish a flame if it happens again.

well, i just finished scraping all the grease off the lower housing. was thicker than i thought. kinda interesting considering i don't use the q that much and i had scraped it off a few months ago. no harm, no fowl.

George
Now and then you can get a bit of a flare up. I keep a spray bottle of water near my BBQs
The spray mist will help reduce it and then cool it down. Don't try and drown it as that will spread the fire. Just a gentle spray is good.

Cheers

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by george curtis:
yea, i hate to do that but looks like i will have to. but i think i will do burgers on it with the lid up from now on. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
George
The trick is to regularly scrape the bottom of the Q and to empty/replace the drip tray, This is the best way to prevent flare-ups.

This way you can confidently grill with the lid down.

Cheers

Captain

Phil, after reading through just about every thread in the "Q" forum, I've noticed you're pretty much the "Q master". You seem to have used and learned more a out the q grille's than most others on this site. So, I ask you, ha e you found any tricks to slow the wind down od reduce fbe amount of wind entering the grill from the sides? This weekend, I plan on sitting down and really focusing on a method of reducing the amount of airflow from both sides. Just wondering if you have any suggestions.
Thanks in advance,
Tim

i'll repeat what i did that worked great. i put a piece of cardboard betwwen the frame and the lid. this allowed the grill to get back up to temp on a breezy day.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tim (the grillaholic):
Phil, after reading through just about every thread in the "Q" forum, I've noticed you're pretty much the "Q master". You seem to have used and learned more a out the q grille's than most others on this site. So, I ask you, ha e you found any tricks to slow the wind down od reduce fbe amount of wind entering the grill from the sides? This weekend, I plan on sitting down and really focusing on a method of reducing the amount of airflow from both sides. Just wondering if you have any suggestions.
Thanks in advance,
Tim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
George's method would work.
2 Questions
Why do you want to need to reduce the amount of wind. Is your temperature varying a lot.
Can't you reposition the Q so the wind is coming from the back.

In all my time of using the Q I have never had a problem with the wind - I have moved the Q to another area a couple of times to escape the full brunt of the wind.
Be careful blocking off the sides, if you restrict the exhaust air then you will not get the flow of oxygen enriched air int the Q and you will get reduced heat thus defeating your original purpose.

Cheers

Captain

yea, i did position the cardboard to the frame/table side thus there was enough clearance to the lid vent. in my case i could not reposition the grill.

I would think twice about anything that would block air flow into the Q. I'd be concerned about the possibility that the flame could be starved for oxygen, go out and result in a flammable mix (flammable mix == explosive) filling the Q.

It sounds like what George did blocks air flow getting to the vents and that would be what you need to focus on. More effective - less exciting.
icon_wink.gif

Back