Interesting comparison

Another interesting point was neither one being US built or assembled. How true that is will be proven out once we lay eyes on a box or a finished product

Interesting basic points. I would like to see food being cooked on these grills before drawing any conclusions.
I agree with you totally what good are these comparisons when the Weber is not even available yet nor anyone yet cooking on it. Is the pid controller more accurate on the Weber, does it produce better smoke than the Pit boss which smoke as I have said before is subjective my wife does not care for alot of smoke, who cares if the Pit Boss can cook at a lower temp for most they will not care I do high heat so would be running brisket and my ribs at 275, chicken wings at 350. With the new designed hopper on the Weber I get it holds 20 lbs opposed to 40 pounds of pellets but so what would be pretty easy to reload anyway. At this stage to me its a pretty silly comparison especially coming from someone who has what 58 subscribers.

Another thing is the cast aluminum firebox is well tested for longevity evidenced by how many of us have 1000's, Silver B's and C's I expect the Searwood to hold up just as well, of course nobody has one and it will be years to see if thats the case.

Last edited:
I agree that it was a very limited criteria, “mini-review.” I also agree that the slightly lower temperature the Pit Boss can hold doesn’t seem very noteworthy. While I would probably only very occasionally do high heat grilling on a pellet grill, I know many users here really like that about their SmokeFires. I think I would have scored that in Weber’s column.

Hopefully soon some of us will actually see these grills in person and we will also start seeing real operating reviews. I will be checking in at my Academy Sports as time allows.

YEah, I don't see much good of running a grill that low. IMO it's opening the door to food poisoning :D Hell even though my Z Grill will easily hold 160/165 I typically smoke up a little from that. Today I have a piece of pork shoulder on there. Was holding 230 with tons of smoke rolling. I hit the stall on it, wrapped it in pick paper and now running 325. Hoping to have that for supper tonight yet 🤞 :giggle:

YEah, I don't see much good of running a grill that low. IMO it's opening the door to food poisoning :D Hell even though my Z Grill will easily hold 160/165 I typically smoke up a little from that. Today I have a piece of pork shoulder on there. Was holding 230 with tons of smoke rolling. I hit the stall on it, wrapped it in pick paper and now running 325. Hoping to have that for supper tonight yet 🤞 :giggle:
Actually understanding food safety is important. And smoking at 150 temps does not benefit all meats. But it does have it’s place. Maybe it’s not for you right now, and that’s ok.

I guess 150 is considered cold smoking. Likely useful for bacon, cheese, jerky or basically any "cured" meat.

I guess 150 is considered cold smoking. Likely useful for bacon, cheese, jerky or basically any "cured" meat.
No, cold smoking is normally done below 85 degrees. So if your pellet grill will allow a “Fan Only” mode, you could cold smoke in your pellet grill with a smoking tube. The fan mode will help circulate the smoke and keep the smoke tube burning.

Potential use to hot hold once cooked? Sounds about right for keeping wrapped and resting at that sort of temperature once cooked through?
Alternatively some use in dehydrating. Agree to hot for cold smoking and these all seem pretty far down on list of features.

Potential use to hot hold once cooked? Sounds about right for keeping wrapped and resting at that sort of temperature once cooked through?
Alternatively some use in dehydrating. Agree to hot for cold smoking and these all seem pretty far down on list of features.
Being able to wrap and hold a brisket or pork butt at 150. Save the cooler for the cold beer.lol

No, cold smoking is normally done below 85 degrees. So if your pellet grill will allow a “Fan Only” mode, you could cold smoke in your pellet grill with a smoking tube. The fan mode will help circulate the smoke and keep the smoke tube burning.
I would love that feature on mine. When I've done smoked cheese, I think the smoke from the smoke tube was a little too stagnant in the cooking chamber.

I’ve seen posts where a small battery powered or usb powered fan is used to move the smoke around and stoke the smoke tube using no power on the grill. Seemed like a great cheap solution.
Yeah those little fans are a dime a dozen too. If I ever get into that maybe it would be something I would look into. I think I have a few power supplies and fans around

Back