Insulating with Hot Water Heater blanket

Bill M.

TVWBB Member
I purchased an insulating blanket for a hot water heater to use on my WSM. I've searched the message boards here to see if I could find some detailed information on how to properly trim the insulation ("X" feet by "X" feet; wrap with a bungie cord, support with bricks to keep from blocking vents if you don't have a Guru, etc...).

I can't seem to find any information and wondered if this project is simply too easy to post this type of information. Is this project a simple no-brainer?

From the information I have read, the insulating blanket is more of a wind-break than an insulating device.

Bill

Thanks Dennis...I especially like the photo Keri has on that link and her description of what she did. It appears as though I was making too much out of this project. Just wrap before the cook and unwrap when done. Doesn't get any better than that.

Bill

Bill,

I'm a new owner and haven't yet added a blanket to my equipment aresenal. Let us know how your project goes.

I'm doing my second smoke this afternoon and ... (sticking head out window) ... the weather looks good ... 40's, sunny, and light wind. One day, however, I'll need the protection of a blanket.

I think you can get about as complicated as you wish on that blanket, but I've used them quite a few times this winter in the same manner as I mentioned in that thread referenced above, and they're still working great. I use them both for cooking in very cold temps, or cooking in the wind. It may very well be just the fact that it keeps the breezes from sucking the heat out of the vents, but nevertheless they work out fine just unrolled right out of the package with nada but a clothespin holding the top edges together. I still haven't found the need to have a cover over the whole thing, even in single-digit temps.

I had mine cut and taped to fit over the WSM, but have since re-cut it and just go with the clothes pin to hold it around the smoker. It is easier to deal with than slipping it over the smoker and then pulling it off. I have used mine at least 10 times so far, and can say when cooking in the cold, it saves me fuel. I would not use the bungie cord myself. there is a 1-2" gap between the wrap and the smoker. I also made a "lid" out of some extra wrap, but don't use it. My wrap goes to just even with the top grate. Next year, I will cut it to just a little higher than the lid handle.

The water heater wraps are great. This winter I have used my bullet in temps as cold as -20F and it helps a ton. I do find if the temps are warm, like 30s or so the cooker can run a bit warm. I would guestimate it uses 25% less fuel with the wrap on.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris K: I do find if the temps are warm, like 30s or so the cooker can run a bit warm. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

30's = Warm ???

I don't smoke anything if the temperatures go below freezing.

Thank goodness for the mild winters in the South.
icon_smile.gif

Bill

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">30's = Warm ??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pretty much, if I dont need a coat to tend to the smoker it is warm. I do envy you southerners where 30s is generally only a theoretical temperature.

Regardless of what Bill says, 30s are not theoretical. At my house, we think we have hit a home run on Christmas day if the high gets out of the 30s and/or the wind is not 8-10 Gusting 15-20.

Back