Insulating pics your WSM, mini etc....

KeithFWI

TVWBB Fan
Just thought i'd share what i did that helps. I did it for the UDS, Jimmy and mini. Did it all for a whopping 23 dollars. I'll post more details in my jumbo mini (Jimmy build thread) later but here are some pics.

Mini (fatty bird smoking)

Jimmy

UDS

Last edited:
No need for insulation here in hot a$$ LaPorte TX. My problem is that in the summer(95+ degrees) I have to put a portable air conditioner close to mine to keep the temps down. lol And that's with only 6 lit coals in the OTG.

dean nailed it. 81 degrees today here in brazos valley... but the ins idea of yours is ingenious.

don't lift the lid...

That looks like a very effective method for next to no investment. I like it. And the forecast here is for single digits and snow this week.

That looks like a very effective method for next to no investment. I like it. And the forecast here is for single digits and snow this week.

Yea those hot weather guys don't need any extra insulation but we sure do up here...lol Below freezing on Friday and colder into next week it looks like.

I had my Jimmy (jumbo mini) going 450 and it could have gotten hotter just to test it out. My UDS was going well over 400 so i know the idea works. Just need the reflectix and foil tape. The stuff is rated working temp @ 250 so it can bump the smoker and it's no problem. The dead air space is nice and warm when it's around it.

Keith,
South Louisiana doesn't get below freezing too often either, but I did pick up a roll of this to use your same concept as a wind break! Bought some this past weekend & planning to use it for the first time with my WSM this Saturday ... :cool:

Keith,
South Louisiana doesn't get below freezing too often either, but I did pick up a roll of this to use your same concept as a wind break! Bought some this past weekend & planning to use it for the first time with my WSM this Saturday ... :cool:
It should work great Pat.:) If it's loose enough of a circle it shouldn't need any notches cut out for air. Let us know how it works out.

I made the top to protect from rain showers. The grate grabber tool is just an old three prong hand hoe with a 8" bolt threaded through the handle. The grate grabber has been invaluable for muti rack cooks.

Back